July 2014 - Jonatan Cwiakalski

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

07 July 2014
July 2014 - Jonatan Cwiakalski

Hello everyone! Good to see that DMP Mini Challenge is running... and kicking!
My first taste of matte painting was Kreola contest and it was great experience. It was really good fun but most of all I've learned a lot! Now I would like to take a little step further. Well... maybe a few steps . My goal is to start in six DMP monthly challenges (including this one), and then look back and see that I'm better matte painter than I'm right now. So... let it will be my start. A blue sky - beautifully fresh and clean. Everything can happen, everything is possible!

Best regards to all of You
Jonatan

Last edited by Jonatan-Moonchild : 07 July 2014 at 08:51 AM.

07 July 2014
Concept

OK, time to post some idea, so... here it is:

I don't want to spend too much time for concepting (especially that my time this month will be strongly limited). Maybe a few rough sketches of airships moored at the cove, some rooftops of buildings rising from under the clouds... Then I would like to prepare in Blender simple model of cove and most massive buildings to get help with lights, shadows and perspective. And then... as soon as possible jump into DMP.

See you soon
Jonatan

Last edited by Jonatan-Moonchild : 07 July 2014 at 08:46 AM.

07 July 2014
Wip1

I'm not too advanced in 3D. Well... I'm DEFINITELY not too advanced in 3D , but first of all I consider this challenge as a great opportunity to learn, so... this is my WIP No.1 - after 3-4h playing with Blender:

Regards
Jonatan

Last edited by Jonatan-Moonchild : 07 July 2014 at 08:23 AM.

07 July 2014
Blender

Are you going to texture this or paint over it?
Originally Posted by Jonatan-Moonchild: I'm not too advanced in 3D. Well... I'm DEFINITELY not too advanced in 3D , but first of all I consider this challenge as a great opportunity to learn, so... this is my WIP No.1 - after 3-4h playing with Blender:

Regards
Jonatan

07 July 2014
Plan

Originally Posted by milanschere: Are you going to texture this or paint over it?

Hello Milan. Thank you for your interest.
As I wrote I'm not too advanced in 3D and this particularly concerned texturing (for now I have only misty conception how to do it). But I would like to learn a little bit more at every monthly challenge. So this is my plan: I will spend this weekend on modeling and at least try texturing in Blender. If I'll see that there is no way to do any significant work with texturing this way (within a reasonable time), then I will turn to GIMP and I'll finish it in 2D (using textures and overpainting).

One way or another, at least I will start learning about 3D texturing and I will prepare 3D scene (more or less advanced) - helpful with lights and perspective. Well... that's the plan. We will see what will be, but for now... I'm pretty excited - I'm doing 3D!

Regards
Jonatan

Last edited by Jonatan-Moonchild : 07 July 2014 at 08:36 PM.

07 July 2014
Originally Posted by Jonatan-Moonchild: Hello Milan. Thank you for your interest.
As I wrote I'm not too advanced in 3D and this particularly concerned texturing (for now I have only misty conception how to do it). But I would like to learn a little bit more at every monthly challenge. So this is my plan: I will spend this weekend on modeling and at least try texturing in Blender. If I'll see that there is no way to do any significant work with texturing this way (within a reasonable time), then I will turn to GIMP and I'll finish it in 2D (using textures and overpainting).

One way or another, at least I will start learning about 3D texturing and I will prepare 3D scene (more or less advanced) - helpful with lights and perspective. Well... that's the plan. We will see what will be, but for now... I'm pretty excited - I'm doing 3D!

Regards
Jonatan

That's exactly how these monthly mini challenges should be taken, learning each time you go and actively participating so you can keep getting better each time. Great approach Jon!

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

http://photonicplayground.com art gallery!

07 July 2014
Wip 2

Uhhhh... I need a little break . But before I will reset my brain... Here is a little update:

Regards
Jonatan

P.S.
Originally Posted by Ackdoh: That's exactly how these monthly mini challenges should be taken, learning each time you go and actively participating so you can keep getting better each time. Great approach Jon!

Good to know that I'm on the right way .

Last edited by Jonatan-Moonchild : 07 July 2014 at 10:42 PM.

07 July 2014
Wip 3

A little update. Clouds was temporary removed because I can't work on it now - I have to suspend this till monday - I will have no access to my computer during this weekend (starting now).

See you next week
Regards
Jonatan

07 July 2014
Looking good so far. Love the zeppelins!

07 July 2014
Zeppelins

Originally Posted by aiRaGe: Looking good so far. Love the zeppelins!

Thank you Robert! I love Zeppelins too . Speaking of Zeppelins... I would like to write a few words about them and scale in my scene. At the start, looking at given plate and reading the brief, I didn't want too much SCI-FI in my scene. I decided, that airships from the previous century will fit perfectly. But... on original plate we see three boats and we can assume that this ship have at least six - with those on the other side. And he can take people enough to populate this boats. Besides - construction is pretty heavy... I was wondering if airships from our past could take so much weight in the air, so I did some research and...

...first of all - some of them was truly gigantic! LZ 129 Hindenburg (airship wich I used as a base for bigger airship in my scene) was long at 245 meters and his diameter was 41 meters. He was able to accommodate a bit more than three Boeings 747-8 Intercontinental! And only if we speak about length - the volume was much much bigger. His crew was 40 - 61 people, he could carry 50 - 72 passengers over the Atlantic and... yes, I think this kind of airship could handle all what we see on original plate. So... the size of mighty Hindenburg is the source of scale of other elements in my scene - the cove and hotel for passengers, the building of "Skyship Cove Airlines"...

OK, I was out for a moment - three days and nights of music (and alcohol ) during Castle Party - a gothic / electro festival at which I go every year. My mind and body are a bit destroyed... but also reborn , so... time to paint something!

Regards
Jonatan

Last edited by Jonatan-Moonchild : 07 July 2014 at 06:28 AM.

07 July 2014
Wip 4

I think It's time for another update. So... here it is:

I didn't have too much time during past week - most changes I did yesterday and this morning. And I need to turn on now extra speed because I have to finish all in about 39 hours - I won't be able to work on it after that time. So... sleep? Eat? I don't need these disturbing things!

Regards
Jonatan

07 July 2014
Wip 5

This is what I achieved at the moment:

Next stage should be texturing but... well... managing time is still my greatest weakness and also the greatest challenge for me. I will work hard on it in future DMP Mini-Challenges (I hope there will be next). For now I have to consider this as my last WIP before deadline but I will finish it for myself when I'll return from my last vacations this year (today I will sleep up in the mountains ).

I see many great entries here. I can't wait for your final images! And I hope to meet you all in the next Challenge .

Finally I would like to thank to creators of tools which I used - Blender and Gimp. But most of all I want to thank to David and Milan for this Challenge. You are doing great thing here!

Best regards and good luck to all of you .
Jonatan

07 July 2014
Originally Posted by Jonatan-Moonchild: This is what I achieved at the moment:

Next stage should be texturing but... well... managing time is still my greatest weakness and also the greatest challenge for me. I will work hard on it in future DMP Mini-Challenges (I hope there will be next). For now I have to consider this as my last WIP before deadline but I will finish it for myself when I'll return from my last vacations this year (today I will sleep up in the mountains ).

I see many great entries here. I can't wait for your final images! And I hope to meet you all in the next Challenge .

Finally I would like to thank to creators of tools which I used - Blender and Gimp. But most of all I want to thank to David and Milan for this Challenge. You are doing great thing here!

Best regards and good luck to all of you .
Jonatan

Thanks for joining Jonatan, you've done well here with a great layout and block to be turned into a nice final DMP when you are ready. Have a nice vacation and see you next challenge!!

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

http://photonicplayground.com art gallery!

07 July 2014
Magic!

Originally Posted by Ackdoh: Thanks for joining Jonatan, you've done well here with a great layout and block to be turned into a nice final DMP when you are ready. Have a nice vacation and see you next challenge!!

Indeed good layout! Looking foreward to your final version..I think the last step is going to be adding a lot! cool cool! let the magic happen!

07 July 2014
Thank you for your comments David and Didier! Joining was the real pleasure and I will definitely be in the next one (I can't wait to see what you will prepare for us David ).

About my entry - of course I'm not happy with not finishing it in time but I'm really excited with involving 3D to my workflow. I'm not not too experienced in that field but it was very pleasant doing it and I see great potential in here!

About finishing it - I'm planning to work on it in "the meantime" during next challenge and post two finished images at the end of the next month. I will sacrifice my soul to glorious Gods of art and demons from dark fields of my subconscious to unleash the magic!

About my vacation... the weather is great - not too hot not too cold, sun plays it's magic on the hills during the day, beer is cold... what more could you want? Now... my lovely girlfriend is gathering her forces in mysterious world of dream for tomorrow's tour and I'm sitting in the middle of the night, listening to the noise of distant cascades, drinking good alcohol and sketching on my mobile tablet for pleasure and practise... This is my heaven!!!

Best regards
Jonatan

Last edited by Jonatan-Moonchild : 07 July 2014 at 02:39 AM.

reply share thread