Where to download p_hairtk shader?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Where to download p_hairtk shader?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows where I can download the p_hairtk shader? All I can find online is this link for puppet shaders, which no longer works-

http://www.puppet.tfdv.com/download/shaders_p_e.shtml

I am wanting to experiment with it using hair and fur, and this shader seems to be what everyone else is using with mental ray. But I'm stumped as to how to get it.

05 May 2013
The link to his site is different now:
http://www.puppet.su/download/shaders_p_e.shtml

05 May 2013
Hi Jeff, thanks for the link.

Do you know where I could find a tutorial on how to use the shader? From what I've found out online, I have to plug the hairtk map into an empty mental ray material, in the diffuse slot. I've managed to get it into a sample slot, with bad results. I'm not too sure how to create an empty mental ray material though, when I double click on the basic mental ray material there is no diffuse slot.

Thanks

05 May 2013
a. In the hair and fur modifier settings you'd scroll down to the mr Parameters roll out.
b. Enable the "Apply mr Shader" checkbox.
c. Click the "None" button" below the Apply mr Shader checkbox.
d. Assign a "mental ray" material.
e. Drag this newly created mental ray material over to the material editor as an instance for editing.
f. In the Basic Shaders section of the mental ray material you assign the P_HairTK shader to the "Surface" slot. Then you'll assign the P_HairTK_shadow shader to the "Shadow" slot of the mental ray material.

If you're not using the hair and fur modifier but assigning this to geometry then you'd still configure the mental ray material as outlined in "f" above but assign it directly to your hair geometry.

NOTE: If for some reason you must use GI photons or caustic photons on your hair then you'll probably need to assign a photon shader as well otherwise the photons won't know how to interact with this material. That being said I personally think it's a bad idea to include hair in any GI/caustic calculations.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by JeffPatton: a. In the hair and fur modifier settings you'd scroll down to the mr Parameters roll out.
b. Enable the "Apply mr Shader" checkbox.
c. Click the "None" button" below the Apply mr Shader checkbox.
d. Assign a "mental ray" material.
e. Drag this newly created mental ray material over to the material editor as an instance for editing.
f. In the Basic Shaders section of the mental ray material you assign the P_HairTK shader to the "Surface" slot. Then you'll assign the P_HairTK_shadow shader to the "Shadow" slot of the mental ray material.

If you're not using the hair and fur modifier but assigning this to geometry then you'd still configure the mental ray material as outlined in "f" above but assign it directly to your hair geometry.

NOTE: If for some reason you must use GI photons or caustic photons on your hair then you'll probably need to assign a photon shader as well otherwise the photons won't know how to interact with this material. That being said I personally think it's a bad idea to include hair in any GI/caustic calculations.

Thanks for the help Jeff! This was really useful. I've got it assigned now, and put my colour bitmaps into the diffuse slots of the p_HairTK menu. I can't seem to get the colours to show however, all I'm getting is a blown out white/yellow colour. Do you know why this would be?

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread