Fan Film: Transformers Age Of Extinction Teaser Trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

03 March 2014
Fan Film: Transformers Age Of Extinction Teaser Trailer

So here is my trailer for my 'Age of Extinction' film. The finished film will be ready to view in June just before the bigger budget Michael Bay film is released.

This has been made in 3D Studio Max and has been a fun project to learn new techniques. Hope you like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc8X...HAMmYqwu4YKwHuQ

03 March 2014
Thumbs up

When the film is posted in June, it will have a running time of about ten minutes when its finished, over 150 shots have had VFX work incorporated, so please feel free to leave any and all constructive criticism! Thanks.

03 March 2014
Sounds like a pretty big undertaking. How long have you been working on it?

I'm not sure what stage the 3D is in (animatic vs. final) but it doesn't integrate with the live action shots very well. The lighting on the 3D elements doesn't match the daytime lighting of the scene for example.

Good luck for June!
wyattharris.com Dig it!

03 March 2014
Hi WyattHarris

Thanks for the feedback.

I have made it as an entertaining piece as I enjoy making films and wondered how difficult it would be to undertake a project like this on my own. It has been an on and off project for a couple of years. At the very least I hope it proves to be an entertaining watch!

Mac

Last edited by mac0199 : 03 March 2014 at 10:43 AM.

03 March 2014
trailer

Hi Mat
I watched the trailer for your movie and I have a couple things to say. First of all, cgi work that is represented in the trailer is not that great BUT that doesn't really bother me, because we all are learning and I'm sure that making something this ambitious is a great learning experience for you and it will help you to improve in the future.

My real problem is the trailer itself - it doesn't have any structure, it doesn't tell us anything about the plot or the set up. It doesn't have any build up for something exciting. A good trailer usually gives a little bit of a story or at least an idea of what this movie is going to be about + it gives us a feeling that what we gonna see in the movie is going to be exciting.
What I do recommend you is to study the existing trailers from some of the blockbusters piece by piece and try to emulate what they are doing - a brief setup for the story, showing what is at the stake and then a build up for the most exciting part of your movie without spoiling it.

Oh and the last thing - the sound design is non - existent in the trailer and that's a big mistake. You have to work on the sounds especially in the transformer movie. Sound is sometimtes more important than the visuals themselves.

03 March 2014
Hi Tri-State

Thanks for the feedback.

This was always going to be a teaser trailer, so I did not want to reveal much in 30 seconds, but create a bit of awareness and keep the viewer guessing at this stage. Towards nearing the final film I will post a full length trailer providing a better exposition about the plot. Sound effects were done, but the music I settled on for the trailer drowned out a lot of the effects sounds so I removed them, creative choice. Additionally a lot shots are still under construction, including the biggest end shot scene which would have been good to tease, but its not quite there yet.

Thanks for the comments,

Mac

03 March 2014
Well it's definitely ambitious, but I feel more could have been done with 30 seconds.

Here's an example:

Your chosen format explicitly exploits the fact that it's transformers. It even shows the title from the opening second (which is not customary for a teaser).

The reason I chose an example from the first one is because the best teasers stand alone and show the title at the END.... presumably because the teaser had already "sold" the film.

==========

A second example:

Basically you have only time to present one main thread/conflict. For Transformers that's "good robots/Bad robots" and for Dredd it's "Order/Chaos" ... You've got a chance to sprinkle a little bit of flavor over it... but around the 20 or 25 second mark you should start wrapping up.

After all that you need at least 3 second title plate at the end.

That said... I think the core content you did have in there was OK. But I think if the main idea was "Extermination/Survival".... Then you really needed Decepticons in this teaser.

P.S.: Same comment as Wyatt Harris.... The renders look far from finished and should not be in teaser in that state.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 03 March 2014 at 12:24 AM.

03 March 2014
We don't allow posting of individual pieces of personal work in GD, we have very good reasons for it.
It can go in news if it's enough content and news worthy, in WIP if you want critique, or in finished work if you want to present it as a piece of work standing on its own merit.

Moved the thread for you, please post in an appropriate forum next time, and best of luck with your project!

reply share thread