Motion Builder problem

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Motion Builder problem

Hello, I was working on a scene I modelled in maya, then I made a biped on max and exported the scene back to maya to finish the materials. When I transfered it to Motion Builder I had some issues with the bones of the forearm. They did not rotate on any other axis that was not Z. Then I exported my weights and detached the skin did a new joint for the forearm parented it, re painted the weights and did some animation to test it, it works fine. Problem is whenever I try to send it to Motion Builder (just the bones) it breaks all the arms. I attach two pictures one of the file on maya and the second one of the Motion Builder file.
I would really appreciate the help! I am really struggling with this one.
Attached Images
File Type: png help01.png (24.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: png help02.png (15.6 KB, 7 views)

06 June 2013
does this happen when you export as fbx and import into Motionbuilder?

i've had hit or miss issues with the Send to Feature

06 June 2013
It is hard to say exactly what the issue is without having more data.

In general it is a minefield of bugs and quirks I have found between Maya and MotionBuilder. And from your workflow here it sounds like any number of things could have crept in considering you are also using Max.

The most successful workflow I have found is to keep it very simple.

What I do now is simply build my bones to MotionBuilder standard naming conventions in Maya. But I don't use any of the HIK tools at all in Maya. Just clean bones. I send these bones over to MotionBuilder skinned to the character. In MotionBuilder I then characterize and add my control rig, animate etc. When I am ready I then plot back to the skeleton and select only the skeleton root then to Maya using the update scene option. This then transfers only the animation of the bones over to Maya. If I want to change or update animation I don't bother to do that in Maya I switch over to MoBu and repeat.

That is what works for me. So I can only say simplify your workflow for best success.

06 June 2013
Couple of questions:

It sounds like the first version you tried worked apart from the rotation on the forearm, so if you still have the file, check you haven't got any rotate limits locked.

Are your versions of max, maya and MotionBuilder all the same number (ie: 2012/2013/2014)
This is important if you send between packages.

I agree though with cineartist, try to keep the pipeline simpler if you can, so i would avoid going between 3 packages, try to stick with 2 maximum if you can otherwise it will become a headache to manage later.

In Maya do you now have two bind nodes ? (which can happen when you bind new joints into an existing bind.) You may not but thought to ask in case there is now some new history added to the joints.

Try a test without sending to MotionBuilder. Instead save an FBX and open that in Motionbuilder.

Do you have the skeleton so that we could try and dig deeper into the issues ?

06 June 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread