Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 09-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
soulburn3d
Artist

portfolio
Neil Blevins
San Francisco, USA

Changing my Map to "None"

Hey, I recently upgraded to a more modern version of max. In older versions, if you wanted to remove a map from a map chain, you could click the map type name in the upper right corner of the Standard Material Editor and choose "None". Is there a way to do the same in max 2014? or do I have to open the schematic editor and delete/unwire the map?

- Neil

Old 09-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #2
gandhics
Expert

Changsoo Eun
VFX Artist
FuseFX
USA

You can rightclick map type name and choose "Clear".

Old 09-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
soulburn3d
Artist

portfolio
Neil Blevins
San Francisco, USA

Awesome, thanks for the tip.

- Neil

Old 09-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulburn3d
Awesome, thanks for the tip.

- Neil

Surely Neil Blevins already knew that..?? I'm shocked!

Old 09-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
wallworm
Shawn Olson

portfolio
Shawn Olson
Wall Worm
Columbus, USA

Also... in the Slate Viewport you can select the map's output link and press delete. This is especially convenient for removing multiple map nodes at once since you can select multiple links at once.

Oops... I misread that you already mentioned this as the "schematic" viewer.

In which case ... I recommend avoiding the old material editor and just getting used to the new editor. It's just faster for navigating the materials and maps and you can immediately see how a map is being used.

Last edited by wallworm : 09-07-2013 at 01:27 PM.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
soulburn3d
Artist

portfolio
Neil Blevins
San Francisco, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashidan
Surely Neil Blevins already knew that..?? I'm shocked!

There's tons of stuff I don't know But that makes life more interesting, cause I'm learning all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallworm
In which case ... I recommend avoiding the old material editor and just getting used to the new editor. It's just faster for navigating the materials and maps and you can immediately see how a map is being used.

Each material editor has its advantages and disadvantages depending on the operation you're trying to do or the size of your material, just want to make sure I can do common operations in both.

- Neil

Old 09-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
spacefrog
Frog of the posts

Josef Wienerroither
Freelance
Vienna, Austria

An alternative version of emptying a maps slot is simply drag&dropping another "None" slot onto it
That's a quite direct method in the legacy material editor

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 09-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #8
soulburn3d
Artist

portfolio
Neil Blevins
San Francisco, USA

Yup, thanks, I had figured that one out, but it only works if you have a "none" slot available. So I'm using that if I'm replacing a map at the material level (where there's a plentitude of None slots), but will use the clear if I'm deep in a map tree and need to get rid of something.

- Neil

Old 09-08-2013, 01:13 AM   #9
wallworm
Shawn Olson

portfolio
Shawn Olson
Wall Worm
Columbus, USA

Just for the sake of conversation, I am interested in the benefits of the compact editor. I personally jumped into Slate when it first arrived and have never really felt any reason to use the old editor since (except that there was a function I use missing in the first iteration of Slate). For me, the only times I can think of choosing the CME were when I was stuck on a limited screen of a laptop and it is more compact--but even then found that I used Slate more.

The main thing is I am curious if there is a specific benefit in the old editor at this point that make it actually more efficient? I can think of many ways Slate is more efficient... but hard-pressed to think of the reverse.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:41 AM   #10
JohnnyRandom
Configurator

portfolio
John Rand
still wandering the binary void
salt lake city, USA

Quote:
The main thing is I am curious if there is a specific benefit in the old editor at this point that make it actually more efficient? I can think of many ways Slate is more efficient... but hard-pressed to think of the reverse.

Just jumping in with my 3/4 of a cent (LOL for what that is worth these days). Slate is great for larger more complex materials but a complete waste of space for simple ones.

The compact editor is well, compact and doesn't take up a ton of real estate. Most of the work I do you only use simple gradients, procedural's, or textures that are usually no more than a few deep. Not everyone needs a massive mat editor (but it is nice to have). Multi-subs are a clusterMuck in Slate. They are not auto populated with standard mats and after you spend the time to drop in your base mats the view is a mile high.

Last edited by JohnnyRandom : 09-08-2013 at 05:15 AM.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:28 AM   #11
soulburn3d
Artist

portfolio
Neil Blevins
San Francisco, USA

Quote:
The main thing is I am curious if there is a specific benefit in the old editor at this point that make it actually more efficient?

There are a couple of situations where I feel its superior.

First, if you have a really huge network that you know really well, it's sometimes fewer mouseclicks to find the node you want by following the map chain than try and find the node in the jumble of nodes inside a schematic material editor.

Then, sometimes if the network is quite small, and you want to do a lot of operations where you're selecting and manipulating geometry and then jumping back to the material editor, or you want to keep the material editor and a large render window on the same screen, the compactness of the non-schematic editor can be helpful.

The main area a schematic editor is helpful is if you have a large network that you're not terribly familiar with, since I feel it's easier to get an overview of your shader than it is in a compact material editor.

Both have their place IMO, I'm glad max provides both.

- Neil

Old 09-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #12
wallworm
Shawn Olson

portfolio
Shawn Olson
Wall Worm
Columbus, USA

Good points. I really haven't thought of it that way... once I got Slate I've never really liked CME. Even Slate can have a fairly compact view if you hide the navigator and the library panel and shrink it down... it collapses to nearly the size of CME.

After thinking about it more, there is one thing that CME doesn't suffer from--opening speed; Slate can be horrifically slow if you last closed it with a large material library open...

Old 09-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #13
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread