Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
veolenco
portfolio
Vitaly
Kiev, Ukraine

nCloth and wrap to rig the character issue

I'm using ncloth to simulate a parts of cartoon rooster, such as comb and snail. These parts are separate objects - nClothes - constrained by transform. These transforms attached to jouints. Then i use wrap deformer to transfer the nCloth movements to whole mesh binded to joint root bu smooth binding. It's work when skeleton is static, but when skeleton start moving - wrappet rooster commb dont moving. Then I have simplified situation and concluded then wrapping object moving always incorrect interacting with a influencing object. What can I do? Help please

Old 04-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
cineartist
Student Of The Craft

portfolio
Richard Culver
Hayward, USA

Alternatively you can try this:

Duplicate parts of the cloth objects that you want to attach to the body near where you want to attach them. Skin those to the body so that they follow the body. These will be hidden and will not render. Then use a Point to Surface constraint to constrain the points on the cloth object (that you want attached) to the parts you duplicated and use the "weld" option. This will force those points of the cloth object to follow the skinned parts exactly.

This works but seems like an odd workaround.

Is there no way to just simply skin the cloth objects and then paint a weight where you want the nCloth influenced to override the bones?

Old 04-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
cineartist
Student Of The Craft

portfolio
Richard Culver
Hayward, USA

It does look like they have addressed this workflow in 2014.

EDIT:

lol! I just had this funy idea when I woke up. But really I suppose it is possible someone could read this thread and not know about the release cycles of Autodesk products.

No. I am not a time traveler reporting from the future about what Autodesk is doing in the year 2014,

Last edited by cineartist : 04-07-2013 at 05:15 PM.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
Daemonecles
Wearer of Ninja Pants

portfolio
Andres Weber
CG Generalist
MPC
New York, USA

Send a message via AIM to Daemonecles
What exactly is the workflow fix? Do you have a link to the video demonstrating it (or bullet description?)
GChat AndresMWeber
www.moving-picture.com

Old 04-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
cineartist
Student Of The Craft

portfolio
Richard Culver
Hayward, USA

The Maya Documentation is online now. You can look it up under what is new nDynamics.

http://download.autodesk.com/global...n_us/index.html

Quote:
A new Input Attract Method improves performance by letting you specify which vertices of an nCloth mesh participate in simulations.

Quote:
Input Mesh Method Specifies the method used to apply Input Mesh Attract to nCloth mesh vertices.

Non Locking For this method, all vertices participate in the simulation. For example, Nucleus forces, Collide and Self Collide on all mesh vertices is calculated. The Non-Locking method is the default behavior of Input Mesh Attract.

Lock values of 1.0 or greater For this method, vertices with painted Input Mesh Attract (using Paint Vertex Properties or Paint Texture Properties) values of 1 or greater use the vertex position of the input mesh. Nucleus forces and Self Collide are not calculated on these vertices during simulation. Essentially, these areas of the nCloth behave like passive collision objects.

Using Lock values of 1.0 or greater decreases simulation time and memory use particularly for dense meshes.

Granted I have not used this (obviously) .... but I assume this also means that if bones are driving the cloth vertices painted out will follow the bones.

I mean this setting is not new but it looks like you can use a map to control it now.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #6
cineartist
Student Of The Craft

portfolio
Richard Culver
Hayward, USA

So actually, this feature has been there. This is exactly what I would have thought the workflow would be. Same as in LightWave or Blender. Animate the cloth with Bones and then paint in the area you want to follow:

http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/dunc...haracter_setup/

Old 05-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
Daemonecles
Wearer of Ninja Pants

portfolio
Andres Weber
CG Generalist
MPC
New York, USA

Send a message via AIM to Daemonecles
Oh duh...haha I thought it was something different and spiffy, I already knew about that one! But yeah...it's quite the improvement from when it wasn't there.
GChat AndresMWeber
www.moving-picture.com

Old 05-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread