Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-20-2014, 03:00 PM   #61
sadicus
KRULL

portfolio
sadicus
USA

Many thanks to CGSociety and the Idaho Virtualization Laboratory.

Good work everyone, there are some cool looking and creative submissions!

Nautiloid - Prehistoric Shark Texturing Challenge

Old 03-24-2014, 04:05 AM   #62
cjohnstonbioart
portfolio
United%2BStates

The models all turned out great! I had a ton of fun with this challenge, and I hope the Idaho Visualization Lab with do another contest like this one again soon.

http://cjohnstonbioart.cgsociety.or...utiloid-1164071
http://cjohnstonbioart.cgsociety.or...tiloids-1163876
http://cjohnstonbioart.cgsociety.or...coprion-1164068

Old 03-24-2014, 07:47 PM   #63
inkydragon
Aussie-Alaskan Animator

portfolio
Hannah F.
CGI Modeler / Animator
UA Museum of the North
Alaska, USA

When is judging happening? Since it's been a while since the competition closed.

Last edited by inkydragon : 03-24-2014 at 07:48 PM. Reason: I accidentally a word

Old 03-24-2014, 11:13 PM   #64
Buscat
Education Forum Leader

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Kirsty Parkin
Manager, Education and Training
Rising Sun Pictures
Adelaide, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkydragon
When is judging happening? Since it's been a while since the competition closed.

Hey all - judging is happening right now. The judges have the final gallery and they will have their choices back to us by this Friday 28th March. I hope to have the winners announced next Monday 31st March.

Good luck all!

Old 03-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #65
inkydragon
Aussie-Alaskan Animator

portfolio
Hannah F.
CGI Modeler / Animator
UA Museum of the North
Alaska, USA

Cheers for the quick reply Buscat,
I am super happy to see someone from Adelaide- that was my hometown for 18 years until I moved up here to Alaska. LOOK AFTER IT FOR ME xD!

Old 04-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #66
chancellor
Explorer
portfolio
Chance Payne
USA

I'm excited to see how things turn out with the competition. There are so many great entries. Best of luck to everyone, and thanks again to everyone involved with putting the contest together. Cheers!

Old 04-04-2014, 12:51 AM   #67
DCReynolds
portfolio
Dean Cameron Reynolds
Auckland, NZ

I agree there was some great work put into this and it will be awesome to see how everyone did I really hope the lab think about having another competition in future, because it would be great to have a go at other prehistoric beasties!

Old 04-04-2014, 01:07 PM   #68
dineshatca

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Dinesh Subramanian
Toronto, CA

did they announce winners yet?

Old 04-08-2014, 02:57 AM   #69
Buscat
Education Forum Leader

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Kirsty Parkin
Manager, Education and Training
Rising Sun Pictures
Adelaide, Australia

Winners Announced!

Hi all,

Thanks to all of you who entered your Helicoprions and Nautiloids.

We have feedback from our judges: Justin Holt, Leigh Van Der Byl and Nick Clements. None of them felt we had a perfect entry, however all agreed on the strongest in each category. The winners are as follows:

1. Helicoprion - Dinesh

Click here to see the full project entry.

Nick says: "This is a brilliant entry. From the scarring and patina added into the sharks body, to the intense, murky, primordial ocean it is swimming around in; this texture work and render made the Helicoprion become a real animal for me. I have seen many different adaptations and interpretations of this little known, less understood sea creature but none have made it come to life quite like this image. As it were, I would have loved to see this render printed out in hi-def on an 8x8 foot canvas and hung along a wall next to where the actual fossil specimens and artists interpretations of the Helico are on display in our museum's gallery. It would have fit in perfectly with the exhibit. This is highly professional work and worthy of the best mentions for this type of paleo-environment and physiological reconstructions. Bravo!"

Leigh says: "I think there's a decent attention to detail here, with some nice little bits and pieces, particularly along the top of the body. There's some good subtle tonal variation in the greys too."

Justin says: "The texture work here is elegant, well executed and natural. The transition from the white underbelly to the steel blue greys is quite successful. Love the hint of blood and warmth in the areas around the mouth, not overpowering but just enough there to tell a story. Excellent work."

2. Nautiloid Dirk Wachsmuth

Click here to see the full project entry.

Leigh says: "I think the colours are well-chosen, as they feel natural, probably because they're similar to those found on octopodes and other real sea creatures. The flecks of colour and markings along the shell are also well done, again they feel natural and believable. There's a good display of painting technique here as well, with the subtle blends and transitions of colour. I think this is the strongest entry in the challenge!"

Justin says: "I really love the almost monotone color palette of this entry. It lends itself well to the asset without making things too busy and complex. There is a great level of care put into the subtle nuance and color shifts in the maps with a well executed layering of patterns and texture. You can tell Dirk spent some time doing his homework on similar creatures we can observe today and did a fantastic job translating those observations into a resolved successful piece."

Nick says: "It is hard to believe that you are not looking at a photograph while looking at the beauty render of this texture work. The best part about this is that the artist was able to do it using the given maps, perfectly applied. Also, apart from the addition of a shell hood it does not appear that much liberty was taken to change the overall geometry or add in much detail. The color does the work at an amazing level of detail. This image is simply amazing!"

Congratulations Dinesh and Dirk! You've won a CGWorkshop of your choice, plus a CGSConnect Membership . We'll PM you with the details. Dirk, you are the overall winner, and receive a 3D print of your entry courtesy of the Idaho Virtualization Lab!

Thank you so much again to our judges Justin, Leigh and Nick and to the Idaho Virtualization Lab for providing us with both the idea and the models for this competition, as well as the awesome 3D print grand prize. May they continue to virtualise cool fossils for the world to see

Old 04-08-2014, 11:58 PM   #70
chancellor
Explorer
portfolio
Chance Payne
USA

Congratulations, Dirk and Dinesh. Really nice work.

Thanks to everyone who put this contest together. Cheers!

Old 04-09-2014, 01:03 PM   #71
dirkwachsmuth
Explorer

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Weimar, Germany

Thank you! I am glad.

Congratulations Dinesh!

Thanks to the jury for the kindly words and thanks to all the contributors.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:52 PM   #72
dineshatca

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Dinesh Subramanian
Toronto, CA

Thanks guys.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:14 PM   #73
sadicus
KRULL

portfolio
sadicus
USA

Congratulations!

Congratulations to the winners, and nice work by all the contributors.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #74
govindk
Visual Story Teller

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Govind Krishna
Texture Painter | Look Development Artist
Bangalore, India

Send a message via Yahoo to govindk
Awesome.
Congratulations to the winners, it was great to participate.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:26 PM   #75
NaDaR0

portfolio
Dan Nanu
Brasov, Romania

Send a message via Yahoo to NaDaR0
Congratulations to all and thank you for the opportunity to participate. Looking forward for the next one!

reply share thread