portfolio
Lance Hitchings
Owner
Hitchings Design
Portland, US

Send a message via AIM to lhitch Send a message via Yahoo to lhitch

Converting UV's & texture from one mesh to another

I'm building a 3D caricature.

I started by building an accurate model of the person. I then did a simple planar UV projection on the Z axis.

I exported the UV snapshot and opened it in photoshop. I brought in the front face image that I used as the front image plane and adjusted it to fit the front UV projection. I applied the resulting image to a lambert shader and attached it to the mesh. It fit really well, if you're only looking at the face from the front. The sides and back are wonky, but that's OK. (see 1st image attached)

I then altered the mesh to make the caricature. Since the mesh still had the same UV map, the texture still fit really well. We'll call this mesh 1. (see 2nd image attached)

I then duplicated the caricature mesh, and properly UV mapped the second mesh. We'll call this mesh 2. (see 3rd image attached)

I'd like to bake out the texture from the front projection of mesh 1 as an image file, but using the new UV layout from mesh 2, so that I can use resulting image file as a guide or template for hand-painting a new texture of the face the fits the proper UV map.

In other words, I'd like to somehow project or bake out the texture from mesh 1 (the one with the front projection) onto mesh 2 (the one with the proper UV map) and then bake that texture to a file.

Ultimately, I want to wind up with a texture file that is the original front face image from mesh 1, that is now re-mapped to fit the proper UV layout from mesh 2.

Not sure I'm explaining this very well. Ask questions if you're not getting it.

I've tried creating a 2nd empty UV set for the 2nd mesh and pasting the UV's from the 1st mesh into it, but that didn't even begin to work.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,
Lance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original-mesh.jpg (54.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Mesh-1.jpg (50.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg mesh-2.jpg (59.3 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by lhitch : 06-25-2013 at 05:02 AM.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:21 AM   #2
3dframework
PRO
jon shoelace
3dframework
scotland, United Kingdom

Subdivide the model and convert texture to vertex colours then bake a diffuse from that? or do the same thing in zbrush with polypaint from texture> texture from polypaint

Old 06-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
lhitch
PRO

portfolio
Lance Hitchings
Owner
Hitchings Design
Portland, US

I've still got the problem that the model I'm baking the texture from has the wrong UV's, so the final texture map will be mapped to those UV's, not from mesh 2.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
JasonA
Expert

portfolio
Jason Adank
3D Artist
Portland, USA

Iv found myself in this situation alot lately with some older assets ive been working with.

You can transfer the color map from one mesh to another (and from one uv layout to another) using the Transfer Maps functions available in the lighting menus. This assumes the model has changed shape too drastically. In my case, the models were identical, only the UVs had changed.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
antweiler
Expert

Robert Kopf
Senior 3D-Artist
MBL Development
Hamburg, Germany

I second that. Using Transfer Maps to bake the texture from the model with the planar UVs to the one with proper UVs is the way to go. It works

Old 06-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
lhitch
PRO

portfolio
Lance Hitchings
Owner
Hitchings Design
Portland, US

Brilliant! That totally worked. Thanks, guys.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread