Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-21-2013, 01:40 AM   #1
ShadowMT
portfolio
Michael Tshikaya
United Kingdom

Crawling

Hey, I just registered here, I realized that if I wanted to seriously improve my art, I'd need a lot of opinions, sadly where I study we don't have a very good community as far as critiques go.

This was about 20 minutes, with the main focus to try and create a dynamic composition. All my work seems really 'static' and dead, so I want to improve that aspect. Any advice greatly appreciated, as well as any tips for dramatic lighting and anything else that could improve this

Old 04-03-2013, 03:09 AM   #2
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

What is the narrative you want to convey in your image? Describe what's happening, and what kind of response you'd like to elicit from your audience.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
ShadowMT
portfolio
Michael Tshikaya
United Kingdom

Hi Lunatique, I didn't have a specific aim story-wise, it was simply a device for me to try create a sense of energy and movement in an image. You could say what I wanted to achieve was to make the movements of the creatures convincing and dynamic, through the way in which the image is composed. I see now I should have done more research on anatomy of movement, and a whole host of other things, I put it behind me at this point, I posted this 2 weeks ago, so had a lot of time to think and try different things by now, thanks for the response.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

I think this has a lot of potential, and is worth developing.

Maybe you can try turning it into a narrative where a frightened protagonist is escaping from creatures--maybe a scared little girl, or a male security guard (climbing while turning back and shooting at the creatures chasing after him), or any character we can empathize with. Maybe even a group of friends who went hiking and got lost in a cave, and are now climbing for their lives to get away from the creatures of darkness.

Watch your composition if you're going to develop it further. You have all of your main shapes at the bottom of the image, lined up neatly with almost equal distance, and the rest of the image is almost unused in terms of eye-flow when looking at the image. In other words, you have lots of unused real estate in your image that you can utilize.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread