CGTalk > Software > Photoshop / Painter
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-01-2013, 12:23 AM   #1
Otokonokotron
portfolio
USA

[Painter 12] brush creation/settings question

Hello everyone, i've just become a member here and i'm so glad that there is a place where i can come and ask specific questions about this kind of thing.

alright, this is a question(s) i've had for some time now, ever since i had been giving Painter 12 a try. As amazing as Photoshop is (especially its user interface), i find painter to be much more expressive when it comes to the actual 'drawing/painting' process. which now leads me to my question... is it possible to more or less intermix brush properties?

here let me be more specific, this is a picture of one person's brush settings, and mine next to it on the right: http://i.imgur.com/Lpo70ZR.png

u can see that some of the dab types are grayed out on mine, while not on hers. Secondly, going on the same premise, why can't i make a simple, round blender brush (basically like an oil brush with no bristle marks).

its almost like the only way to get a blend brush is to have bristles? is what im asking possible? to give, say, the flat color tool/brush the ability to blend?

(also on the blog i believe she was using a version of corel that still the "brush creator" (if that has anything to do with it)

thanks, and im sorry if i sounded confusing.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
Fes
Frequenter

portfolio
Fiona Sansom
Illustrator
London, GB

Hi Otokonokotron

Some brush types have options greyed out due to their intended limitations. But you can do what you are asking for and to get a blending brush you don't need bristles. It depends on the brush type you are starting off with.

One that's pretty much good to go from default is the Basic Round brush in the Tinting category. It's a bit high in Dab spacing to start (ie you see the Dab shape too much on large brushes), so go to the Spacing Tab in the Brush Control Panels and change Spacing down to about 9% (you can go lower but it uses more memory and you get more lag). That's a flat colour, no bristles, blending brush.

You can get most brush types (maybe not all - the 'real' and watercolour types have their own properties) to blend by going to the Well tab in the Brush Controls Panel and changing the Resaturation (affects how much the colour you have chosen blends with the colour already there. ie at a high percent you wont see much initial blend, but at a low percent your start of stroke will mix with the colour underneath), and Bleed... which is, well how much the brush blends really.

Another favourite of mine is actually in the Pens category (ignore category names and have a play with everything - Pastels and Charcoal can be great Oil like brushes). Try Pens, Flat Color. In the General Tab take Opacity down to about 30%, turn Expression to Pressure. In the Spacing Tab turn Spacing down to about 9% again, and in the Well Tab you can also try Resaturation around 45% for a bit more blend. Sometime a round brush is a bit boring, so you can also try going to the Angle Tab and change Squeeze to around 70% and Angle to 25%.

PS: I just checked back on Painter 11 and even though in your example that other persons options didn't look greyed out, those dab types wouldn't actually change - so they had the same limitations.

Last edited by Fes : 03-02-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
Otokonokotron
portfolio
USA

thank you very much, and for such a detailed reply.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread