CGTalk > Software > Autodesk 3ds max
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 02-15-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
Exclamation Convert to Editable Poly PROBLEM

Hi, I have just created an account here since I couldn't find a solution to my problem, so here it is. I am working on a model right now and everything was fine until it somehow got corrupted and started crashing with a lot of things I did -NURMS subdivision, even using the Loop tool with edges- so I decided to just export what I had in a new file in hopes it would work itself out. The problem is, when I try to convert the imported mesh to edit poly, some polygons get weird and don't get lit well, they generally dont mesh with the rest of the model. Here are some pictures of it.

Here is the model in editable mesh when I just imported it

And here is the model when I convert to editable poly

I tried almost everything...I mean I'm not a pro so I'm kinda stuck here , the polys are not flipped, I tried that, I also tried recreating them but they stay busted.

Also, even when I apply a smoothing group, all the model stays jagged

If anyone could find a solution to my problem (or the first one where it crashed for reasons unknown) I would very much appreciate it.

ps: Sorry if there is already a thread to this problem, didn't find one, wasn't too sure of what to search for.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:07 AM   #2
Luke Pettit
Canberra, Australia
Try merging the file into a new max file and see if that works.
Make a new blank max file then go to merge and merge in your corrupted file.
This sometimes works.

Good luck
Web site

3d Max 2012 Win 7
Intel Corei5 8g Ram

Old 02-16-2013, 04:59 AM   #3
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA
Try adding an Edit Normals modifier, select all the normals and reset and see if it fixes it.
The Z-Axis
Old 02-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
I did what darthviper107 said and it worked! Thanks a lot, you saved me quite a bit of time!
Old 02-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #5
Jan Petter Grashei
Sandnes, Norway
Try to export it as .obj, then import it in to a freshly reset 3ds max scene
Old 02-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
Im here a lot
Nicholas McElmury
Magic Pictures
Los Angeles, USA
All else fails, grab all the faces and do a detach to object. That will usually clean out any bugs. Just be sure to delete the empty node that was left.

"The best things in life are either illegal, fattening, or take too long to render."
Old 02-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
isKindOf Artist
Vojtech Cada
3D generalist
Czech Republic
Send a message via ICQ to Swordslayer
Turn to Poly modifer + collapsing stack usually fixes this kind of errors.
Blog :: LinkedIn profile
Old 02-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
Looks like some of the polys have ended up facing the wrong way. That's not legal geometry in editable poly mode (if they're welded) and can cause crashing and all sorts of nastiness when converting.

As darthviper107 says, resetting the normals should sort it out.

Or worse, you might have duplicated and flipped polys on top of each other. Back to back. That can be bad too and can be harder to fix. Try selecting and moving the polys and see if they come away, or are only attached by some verts. The Xview option under the viewport label menu might help find them if that's the case.

I'd recommend turning the default viewport lighting to 1 light so you can see which way the polys are facing while working and ideally turn on back face culling so they're invisible if facing away from the viewport. That makes it much more obvious if you're doing something like this.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:51 AM   #9
Peter M. Gruhn
Medfield, USA
xview is your friend

Old 02-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
Xview is a bit hit and miss IMO. It often highlights things that aren't errors. It mis-identifies the corner verts of cubes as T-Verts when they aren't what I'd say were T-verts. And doesn't actually have options for some things that would be really useful (like back to back polys). it certainly can help. But it's not great in all cases.

It does have an option for face orientation though, so it might help here.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #11
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread