Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 09-13-2011, 10:36 AM   #16
joconnell
Idiot
John O'Connell
tea maker / drinker
Dublin, Ireland

True, I was originally going to use the normal of the surface from speed by surf too but maybe it's not important. Must do a few speed tests to see what's the quickest to process.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #17
PsychoSilence
3Delicious

portfolio
Anselm von Seherr - Thoß
VFX Technical Director
Incendii VFX
New Orleans, USA

Send a message via ICQ to PsychoSilence
Quote:
Originally Posted by joconnell
Just paid for the upgrade now - hopefully this'll work nicely! At the minute I'm in object on sea surface spash hell with realwae not being great for some aspects and speed by surface to make sloshing effects being really sluggish with my machine power and the number of particles I'd need for a decent render - eek!

i set up and rendered mine on my notebook (core2due: 2.4ghz, 4gig ram) and it worked fine. Don't use the common collision test and Deflectors, they are brute force aka. every particle tests against every face of the object. Use simple data tests and Krakatoa Collision. Here is a demo by Bobo about how much faster it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr_aLfqJILU

I tested with a data test as simple as (Select Object[ocean surface picked > GeometrySubOp: InsideObject > Output Test]). This is a boolean that is many times faster then any collision since it is literally I or O.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #18
PsychoSilence
3Delicious

portfolio
Anselm von Seherr - Thoß
VFX Technical Director
Incendii VFX
New Orleans, USA

Boat Wake

Here is a vimeo video of my basic setup:
http://vimeo.com/28996544

The KeepApart trick was used for hand places "hero splashes". Below is the setup.
Hope that gives some insight, thsi setup cached and rendered on a notebook so its trimmed for performance rather then awesomeballs but sometimes that's all that counts i guess
Anselm
Attached Images
File Type: png boatwake.png (56.5 KB, 182 views)

Old 09-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #19
joconnell
Idiot
John O'Connell
tea maker / drinker
Dublin, Ireland

So I take it you're birthing on the bottom of the boat on selected faces and then doing a test for any particles below the normal of your wave surface? Or have you got any kind of dynamic selection being driven by the intersection of your boat proxy and the wave proxy? Nice result though!

Old 09-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #20
PsychoSilence
3Delicious

portfolio
Anselm von Seherr - Thoß
VFX Technical Director
Incendii VFX
New Orleans, USA

Just this boolean data test if the particle pierced through the ocean surface, then i give it speed upwards away from the boat (i modeled a super simple thingy with normals how i wanted em and linked it to the same dummy as the boat) and some drag/wind/gravity and spawn more particles as fillers and by travel distance. Then i use the exact same data a second time to test if they came back down to the ocean surface, then i lock/bond em to the surface be the "foam" (I used a DataOp to make em sticky to the surface but it's essentially a lock/bond without the bells and whistles).

EDIT: Attached is the essence of it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip super-stripped-splash-setup.zip (32.0 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by PsychoSilence : 09-14-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #21
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread