Rhythm and hues Dead?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2003
Rhythm and hues Dead?

I had heard in passing that Rhythm and Hues has been aquired by ILM.

I had also heard they intend to keep a few key talents, and technologies, and dump the rest.... I'm dying to know if it's true.

Anybody heard anything?

03 March 2003
I sure hope not, they were one of the top studios I had my sights on.

03 March 2003
I kinda doubt it but strange things have happened before.

First, ILM wouldn't have the kind of money to buy R&H. Lucas would have to pony it up, and for what purpose? Second R&H is down in LA and ILM in the Bay Area. ILM closed their offices in LA and its commercials business is smaller and was always handled up north. And hire a few talents? Why, they could probably very easy get people up there especially after Centropolis closed. R&H is highly propietary but I don't know of anything in particular ILM would be interested in. Third, there is nothing in their workload right now that would merit the acquisition: they are working on a smaller number of films this year. Unless they finally are gonna ramp up for their first animated feature.

Frankly I doubt it but as I said stranger things have happened.

03 March 2003
ILM has no reason to 'acquire' anyone.
For every bit of R&D I can think of at R&H ILM has an equivalent. It would just be kind of silly.

Probably just a rumor.

03 March 2003
Seeing as how R&H, seems to have a pretty full plate this year, and they are hiring, my guess is not.

03 March 2003
I heard that is not true.
It was started on another cg forum as a spam joke

i think it was like spanishcg
furum

Sometimes, I see something so beautifull it makes me cry.

I am single.

03 March 2003
I dont know, hes got to find someone to fill 23 acres at the new presido location! =)

http://george.lucas.net/prologue4.htm

'George Lucas won the right in June of 1999 to relocate an ever-expanding Industrial Light Magic special effects company to 23 acres of the Presidio. A massive $250 million, 1,500-employee corporate campus will replace the former ILM location in San Rafael.'

03 March 2003
Well they even already broke new ground a few weeks ago. Lucas was there for the photo op:

Letterman Digital Arts Center at Presidio Gets Started

Anyway I've heard the Letterman complex would actualy be able to house 2500 people though I don't remember if that was before or after the last change where they reduced a bit of the size. But I think it'll be more than 1,500. ILM right now might be 1,200, 1,000 at least. When Ep. 3 ramops up they'll probably ballon to about 1,500, maybe more. And LucasArts and some other Lucas companies employees will also move to the new campus.

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread