Old 11-17-2012, 06:38 AM   #1
thoughtcriminal
Frequenter

portfolio
David Gidali
Director
Outpost|VFX
Hollywood, United States

Send a message via ICQ to thoughtcriminal Send a message via AIM to thoughtcriminal Send a message via MSN to thoughtcriminal
"Doritos Monster" spec commercial

Hey there,

We just finalized and uploaded our commercial. It's got some VFX in it - enjoy!

Vimeo HD version

If you like it, rate the ad on the "Crash The Superbowl" contest website (Requires Facebook login):
http://apps.facebook.com/crashthesu...atch&video=4245

Screenshots

Some concept artwork by our talented Jeremiah Lee:

Enjoy!

Would love to get comments, and answer questions.

David G.

Last edited by thoughtcriminal : 11-18-2012 at 01:18 AM.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:16 AM   #2
thoughtcriminal
Frequenter

portfolio
David Gidali
Director
Outpost|VFX
Hollywood, United States

Send a message via ICQ to thoughtcriminal Send a message via AIM to thoughtcriminal Send a message via MSN to thoughtcriminal
Another thing:

We've just made it available in HD on Vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/53727188

Old 11-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
thoughtcriminal
Frequenter

portfolio
David Gidali
Director
Outpost|VFX
Hollywood, United States

Anyone know how to embed a vimeo video file in a message? I'd like to embed the spot on to here.

Thanks!
dg.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
tdjordan
Frequenter

portfolio
Tyler Jordan
Creative Director / Co-Owner
Ragdoll Studio LLC
Boston, USA

Send a message via AIM to tdjordan
Very nice composite and story! I was waiting for the twist and then BAM great job! A little late for a spooky Halloween flick but thats okay haha

Old 11-20-2012, 01:59 AM   #5
NickWhitmire
Lord of the posts

portfolio
nick whitmire
Animator
Blur Studio
Venice, USA

Cool stuff! dig the last shot

Old 11-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
itoocg
Frequenter

portfolio
vicky Vicky
Motion Graphics Artist
CG4u.net
India

Great I LIKE THE SCENE CHILD
BRINGS THE CREATURE TO THE PLACE
WHERE OTHERS WERE
TALKING,
HA HA,

NICE STORY,
http://itoocg.blogspot.com/

Old 11-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
thoughtcriminal
Frequenter

portfolio
David Gidali
Director
Outpost|VFX
Hollywood, United States

Thanks all!

Glad you liked the concept, it's a bit of an "Anti-Ad", really... Making fun of the whole Doritos We'll-kill-you-softly-using-cute-kids campaign strategy. Hope it comes across.

I'll use this opportunity to thank Frischluft Lenscare for donating us the After-Effects plug-in, and Snowball|VFX for providing their facility back-drop. All work was done by volunteers though.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
zancoisrice
Frequenter

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Zancois Rice
3D Artist/Animator
New York City, USA

Send a message via AIM to zancoisrice Send a message via MSN to zancoisrice Send a message via Yahoo to zancoisrice
Doritos "Crash the Super Bowl" "MOST VALUABLE CHIP"

Damn dude, your entry is extremely impressive, Great job. Wish I had a crew to add live action.

Check mine out and let me know what you think.
"Most Valuable Chip"

We are competitors! Best of luck to you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Profile2small.jpg (25.6 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by zancoisrice : 11-22-2012 at 09:27 PM.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:33 AM   #9
duany
Frequenter

portfolio
duany Smith
Taiwan,

Wow,amazing character,textures are so cool.And the story is good!

Old 11-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #10
thoughtcriminal
Frequenter

portfolio
David Gidali
Director
Outpost|VFX
Hollywood, United States

Thanks duany and zancoisrice!

zancoisrice, I saw your entry in the contest website a few days ago - really impressive work considering the short time-frame! Good luck in the contest, you definitely put a lot more effort in it then many of the other submitters, and I'm sure you also learned a lot from the process. It's always a great feeling to finish a project, and having external deadlines helps quite a bit.

-Finding collaborators is never easy when you're in an early stage of your project, even if you have track-record, you still need to assure folks it's worth their while.
Bringing in a good concept artist is key - I approached Jeremiah Lee completely out of the blue and was totally lucky that he had just got off a big project and was free for a short period.
He rendered the first concept artwork overnight, and suddenly EVERYONE offered their help

Old 11-24-2012, 01:39 AM   #11
zancoisrice
Frequenter

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Zancois Rice
3D Artist/Animator
New York City, USA

Send a message via AIM to zancoisrice Send a message via MSN to zancoisrice Send a message via Yahoo to zancoisrice
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal
Thanks duany and zancoisrice!

zancoisrice, I saw your entry in the contest website a few days ago - really impressive work considering the short time-frame! Good luck in the contest, you definitely put a lot more effort in it then many of the other submitters, and I'm sure you also learned a lot from the process. It's always a great feeling to finish a project, and having external deadlines helps quite a bit.

-Finding collaborators is never easy when you're in an early stage of your project, even if you have track-record, you still need to assure folks it's worth their while.
Bringing in a good concept artist is key - I approached Jeremiah Lee completely out of the blue and was totally lucky that he had just got off a big project and was free for a short period.
He rendered the first concept artwork overnight, and suddenly EVERYONE offered their help

Yeah man, I mean it came down to seconds. It was 12am CST and I got an error while uploading. For a while i didn't think I was gonna make it fortunately I had the upload window open and realized what the error was. (Spaces in the name). Fixed that and uploaded it. I thank God I was able to submit it. I literally only slept a few days during that 7 days. I would have been crazy disappointed if I didn't get it in on time. God Is Good.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #12
thoughtcriminal
Frequenter

portfolio
David Gidali
Director
Outpost|VFX
Hollywood, United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by zancoisrice
I literally only slept a few days during that 7 days. I would have been crazy disappointed if I didn't get it in on time. God Is Good.

Same here man!

Luckily I was working with other people who pressed me to save a few hours for final sound-mix and color correction. I then stepped down and let them do final touches and bring it home... We uploaded it with about 3 hours to spare (Just in case we had upload issues).

Old 11-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #13
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread