CGTalk > Techniques > Modeling
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 07-28-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
IgorFreitas
portfolio
Canada

Previous Work

Hello everyone, I am new in this forum, and am currently studying at AI in the modeling program. I am beginning work on my demo reel for the end of my course 1 year from now and wanted to get some feedback and constructive criticism on a previous project to see what the areas of my modeling i might need to work on, although to be more specific i would greatly appreciate feedback on my poly-flow and texture work.

These are renders and wireframes for the aforementioned project:

here is the main shot both rendered and in wireframe:

and here are some close ups of the props in the scene:

And finally the texture work on my main prop:

Thank you for any feedback you are willing to give.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

First of all, requests for critiques belong in the WIP section, not here. Hopefully a mod can move it for you; you'll get more response.

I don't mean to be cruel, but I'm wouldn't be doing you any favors by avoiding bluntness; you have a very long way to go in the next year if you're aiming to be a pro. All your models and textures are extremely simple and frankly uninteresting. You're trying to suggest an old-west town; buildings should be sagging a little, and textures should be dirty. Is this supposed to be for games or pre-rendered? If it's for pre-rendered, you need way, way more detail on everything. Each board making up the wagon and buildings should be a separate piece of geometry, each with ware and warping sculpted in. If it's for games, you should still add more detail (even mobile games can handle surprisingly high poly-counts these days), and also be far more efficient in your use of UV space. The two sides of your wagon are identical; you can re use the same texture space for both of them, and then add twice as much detail to your textures. You could also be using your geometry budget more efficiently; for example, you have a ton of geo on the second store windows, which the player will never see up close, and no where near enough in areas the player could walk right up to.

Take a look at my portfolio, linked in my signature. I graduated with a focus on modeling three months ago, and I'm struggling to find work. If you want to get hired, you need to get to the point where you're at least as good, and likely better, than I am now.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
moneytakea
Veteran
portfolio
USA

Just to add to the previous critique. He's right if you are heading for an older western town there is no reason it should be that clean. Your edges are too sharp period, nothing in real life is truly flat/sharp. This is why we bevel edges with smoothing & holding edges. You should really look into doing such. Also your models shouldn't be so clean, add some bulging, some bump and noise to it. With such great packages as zBrush there should be no reason you aren't going in and adding little subtleties to bring your world to life. Also theres wasted space in your UV's and a lot of stretching/distortion. If this is your first attempt at something then it is more than fine and do not stress it. Modeling is an art and takes time and practice to get it. REFERENCE IS KEY ! There's no reason to be ashamed of using reference, every good modeler does it and they would be lying out of their bananas to say they do not. The textures could use some work as well. This looks very N64ish even older possibly. With technology able to handle so much today you need to really PUSH & STRETCH your vision.

Please do not take this harsh as I am doing everything but trying to come off as rude and hateful. Im just giving you my honest thought. Honest thoughts are much more efficient than sugar coated lines. You understand much better what needs to get addressed and the severity. Keep up the work and you'll be good enough soon, but please do not think 1 year is enough time to get the standards where you probably want to be. If you want to be a modeler by trade you should invest in to at least doing a model/speed sculpt a day.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread