Ice Cream Fanatic

portfolio
Troyan Turner
Creative Director
The Danse Multimedia
USA

Send a message via AIM to Troyan
Motion Blur aka It's always something

So I got the simple motor issue worked out with help from Lennart that's driving my complex gear system. All's well, ready to render. Need motion blur so gears don't look like they're sitting still or rotating backwards from visual frame rate issues. Go go Physical render and Motion blur. Rendering. 1 frame has something that resembles blur, the rest have essentially nothing. Apparently things driven with Xpresso won't be calculated correctly by MB. Only way to do this is bake all of the gears with point cache tags. About 20 of them. Does anyone know of an easier way to bake everything in the scene at once or how to get around having to point cache each thing individually in my scene? Thanks!
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Old 07-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
fluffouille
Booh

Sébastien Florand
Fluffy4D
Durham, USA

Select your gears in the timeline, then use the "functions>bake Object" command to bake all objects at once. Don't forget to enable "Bake expressions", of course.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
Troyan
Ice Cream Fanatic

portfolio
Troyan Turner
Creative Director
The Danse Multimedia
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffouille
Select your gears in the timeline, then use the "functions>bake Object" command to bake all objects at once. Don't forget to enable "Bake expressions", of course.

Problem is they have no tracks so i can't pull them into the time line. Their rotations are being driven by xpresso which has no keyframed animation data.
HyperactiveVR

Old 07-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
Decade
Expert

Graeme McDougall
London, GB

Are you sure you can't just turn off 'show animated' (Timeline menu > View > Show) to see them ?
In any case you could just key them all once on rotation at frame zero to create a track for them. You could even delete the keyframe afterwards.
Then use 'Bake Object' as suggested.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
JoelDubin
Lard of the pots
portfolio
Joel Dubin
Creative Director
MadMicrobe
United%2BStates

Once you hit bake in the timeline--then the object will be copied and keys/track will appear
(thas partly the purpose of the command-- to bake keyframes to procedural/expression-driven animation)

MadMicrobe
MadMograph (blog)
Behance

Old 07-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
Troyan
Ice Cream Fanatic

portfolio
Troyan Turner
Creative Director
The Danse Multimedia
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decade
Are you sure you can't just turn off 'show animated' (Timeline menu > View > Show) to see them ?
In any case you could just key them all once on rotation at frame zero to create a track for them. You could even delete the keyframe afterwards.
Then use 'Bake Object' as suggested.

Yep, that was the key. I've never baked an entire scene before so I've never had to mess with turning off show animated. Once I did that I had everything in the timeline and just baked. Super fast for it to bake everything, wow.

Thanks guys
HyperactiveVR

Old 07-18-2013, 11:41 PM   #7
LukeLetellier
Work in Progress

portfolio
Luke Letellier
Portland, Maine, USA

While we're here talking about timeline views, I have a related question:

1. I create a new scene, and add in a sphere, a cube, and cylinder.
2. I do some very basic animations with the sphere and the cube, but not the cylinder. So my timeline will list the cube and the sphere, but not the cylinder.
3. I now drag and drop the cylinder into the timeline; the sphere and cube disappear, and only the cylinder rests in the timeline.

How do I bring the cube and the sphere back into the timeline? If I go the route of "View --> Show --> Show animated", the cylinder disappears, but the timeline stays empty, and the cube/sphere are not added.

I know I could drag & drop them in again, but that seems inconvenient - especially when you have quite a few objects in several hierarchies. Is there an option that allows me to "re-show" the animated objects?

Thanks,
Luke

Old 07-18-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
Troyan
Ice Cream Fanatic

portfolio
Troyan Turner
Creative Director
The Danse Multimedia
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier
While we're here talking about timeline views, I have a related question:

1. I create a new scene, and add in a sphere, a cube, and cylinder.
2. I do some very basic animations with the sphere and the cube, but not the cylinder. So my timeline will list the cube and the sphere, but not the cylinder.
3. I now drag and drop the cylinder into the timeline; the sphere and cube disappear, and only the cylinder rests in the timeline.

How do I bring the cube and the sphere back into the timeline? If I go the route of "View --> Show --> Show animated", the cylinder disappears, but the timeline stays empty, and the cube/sphere are not added.

I know I could drag & drop them in again, but that seems inconvenient - especially when you have quite a few objects in several hierarchies. Is there an option that allows me to "re-show" the animated objects?

Thanks,
Luke

What I always do is select everything in the OM, right click anywhere and say "Show Tracks". It will list everything animated in the timeline.
HyperactiveVR

Old 07-18-2013, 11:55 PM   #9
fluffouille
Booh

Sébastien Florand
Fluffy4D
Durham, USA

If you drag an object in the timeline, it will disable automatic mode. So just enable it again, and disable "Show animated objects".
I highly recommend enabling the "link view to Object Manager" option, as it will only display whatever you have selected in the Object Manager.

Last edited by fluffouille : 07-19-2013 at 01:55 AM.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:06 AM   #10
LukeLetellier
Work in Progress

portfolio
Luke Letellier
Portland, Maine, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffouille
If you drag an object in the timeline, it will disable automatic mode. So just enable it again.

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Linking the view to the object manager also sounds good.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #11
jumamu
Frequenter
portfolio
Juha M
Oulu, Finland

http://youtu.be/V65S7KRlX_k here is fast video demonstration which i made for you.
It shows how important the xpresso's priority is, and how you can bake the xpresso to key frames for motion blur (it will be baked from menu -> animation -> add motion clip (check bake expression). But this is only one way to do it.. Those which have been mentioned before will work too - and they are more fast/esier to do (C4D has lots of ways to do the same thing).

Last edited by jumamu : 07-19-2013 at 10:44 AM.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread