Old 01-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #16
jameshodgart
Veteran
portfolio
James Hodgart
3D Computer Graphics & Animation
UWS
Beith, United Kingdom

I moved the scripts into the script folder but I was given a strange error. Also the UI of my normal render setting window was completely blank. I assume I have done it wrong. Is this something simple to fix I take it?

Old 01-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #17
Bitter
Also Highly Corrosive

David Fer Real
Fixer of things
USA

The UI doesn't currently work with 2013.5 (Subscription Advantage Pack or SAP) because Autodesk removed some .res files.

It works in 2013, SP1, and SP2 (SAP includes SP2 I think but has some changes)

You can still access the controls in the file by going to the miDefaultOptions and looking under the String Options rollout.

You can select the miDefaultOptions by using the Select By Name bar in the menu and typing: miD*

Hit enter.

You can make that a button if you want.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:27 PM   #18
jameshodgart
Veteran
portfolio
James Hodgart
UWS
Beith, United Kingdom

Hmmm, I was using the scene with IBL and I was getting these grainy shadows, so I switched to my sun and sky for texturing and I appear to be getting some strange spotted results on my black shaders. Just simple a simple black (gamma corrected) mia_material_x.

My physical sun and sky settings are RGB set to 0.318 with mia_photographic as it's exposure. I then gamma correct each texture (even the base colours) to 0.454. All my render settings are the base. I started working from the scene that I downloaded from your kind self, could this be the problem?

Old 01-17-2013, 11:49 PM   #19
Bitter
Also Highly Corrosive

David Fer Real
Fixer of things
USA

Grainy shadows are a result of insufficient Quality either in the environment lighting setting or Unified Sampling.

High contrast and/or complex HDRIs may need more Quality to sample enough and reduce variance.

That scene was set to 0.3, I would increase slowly in steps like 0.35 0.4, 0.45, or maybe a binary search, 0.6 then 0.4, then 0.5 if 0.4 is too little, setting it at the halfway mark each time till it's a good setting. Not too high (slow) but acceptable noise.

I'm not a fan of Sun & Sky honestly. It's good for some basic things but I don't use it for production for lots of reasons. The Native/Builtin IBL will bake the Sun & Sky environment though.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #20
Bitter
Also Highly Corrosive

David Fer Real
Fixer of things
USA

You can find a tutorial on the Native/Builtin IBL as it's exposed in our UI here:

Native/Builtin IBL

The UI can be found here.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #21
jameshodgart
Veteran
portfolio
James Hodgart
UWS
Beith, United Kingdom

Thank you, I'll check that out ASAP. I've decided to switch back to 2012 as I couldn't work out how to get rid of those crushed blacks. I thought it was the exposure_photographic node but even in a fresh scene it was still happening. No idea as to why.

The graininess doesn't seem to be the shadows, it seems almost as if my render cannot show black without making the texture grainy. The rest of my colours seem fine, it is just my black textures. Very strange.

Last edited by jameshodgart : 01-18-2013 at 01:18 PM.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #22
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread