Reaching out

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 05 May 2014   #1
Reaching out

A bit of an introduction, cause I like to give people an idea of who I am and what I've experienced in my short life. My name is Eric, I am 24 and I have always had an interest in drawing and art. In 2007 I attended New York Institute of Technology, with a focus in Computer Graphics. And while the program was not the best, I tried my hardest to make the most of it. A slacker I certainly was not. And for the most part I've never really received a solid fundamental art education

After graduating, I decided that something closer to concept art was my calling. But I was unwilling to pursue grad school and in short I basically had no idea what to do and stopped pursuing that thread for a while. Fast forward to today. After trying out other career paths I realized that this would make me the most happiest, but I have to do more to make it a reality instead of me pretending like the opportunity is gonna come to me. I've been on these sorts of forums before and I get easily intimidated. I came to the realization that drawing by my lonesome with no contact to other artists or professionals is not going to help me one bit (amazing how obvious the answer is, innit?) So here I am. I am more receptive and open to learning now more than ever before.

I come here seeking companionship, guidance, support, and knowledge. Because I am tired of turning my wheels and not getting anywhere. I want results, cause if I don't pursue this path now I am gonna regret it.

If you've made it this far into the post I congratulate you. I know its a lot to read, but as I said I like to introduce myself by giving people a rundown of who I am and where I've been.

So if you are STILL reading, I'll give you a link to my "portfolio" so you can see just what exactly you have to work with here. Critiques are welcome as long as they're constructive.

TL;DR: Just look at the portfolio and tell me what you think I need to work on, and how I'd go about doing it.

http://www.unlimitedbacon.deviantart.com

Old 07 July 2014   #2
Your post somehow got past by me. If I had seen it when you first posted, I would have responded much sooner.

I took a look at your deviantart page, and based on what I saw, I would say that the best thing you can do for your artistic development right now, is to get serious about learning the critical foundations of visual art.

If you haven't yet, you should go to the Art Techniques & Theories forum (linked below in my signature) and read all the sticky threads at the top. In them, I have written many helpful tips on how to develop effectively as an artist so you don't waste years of precious time going around in circles and doing things the wrong way, or build up bad habits that are detrimental to your artistic growth.

reply share thread