Musician and Artist

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2012   #61
I used to jam with a few coworkers in Stuttgart once in a blue moon, but since then people have moved about and over here I don't have any kind of space where people can get really loud in

A band is in the works though, so maybe I can finally put my keytar to good use.

Old 03 March 2012   #62
Originally Posted by buzzman: Here's the fellow that made my fiddle.
http://charlesjhornerviolins.blogspot.com
He's self-taught but the quality of his violins is awesome. Going to his shop is like stepping back in time 100 years.

Wow, those instruments are excellent. I wonder if I could apprentice under him?

I learned on an el-cheapo, I forget which brand, and played a few different instruments over the years. After I had played for a while and shown that I was serious about it my grandfather let me play his violin. It's a Joseph Guarnerius from the 1700's, whose violins were 2nd if not equal to Stradivarius'. The Strads have richer tones but this Guarnerius is very deep and louder than any other violin I've ever played. Now before you say it, yes I'm sure it's a fake. I've researched it pretty thoroughly and the $100,000-$1,000,000 originals are pretty much accounted for. But I do know that this instrument was purchased by my Great-grandfather in the late 1800's and then given to my grandfather so it's likely one of the old forgeries that used the same techniques as the master.

Either way the thing sounds awesome. It's what I used during concert play and it really projects the sound. Sadly, when my grandfather died it was willed to my aunt. I thought about talking him into giving it to me but that seemed inappropriate at the time. And that's why I don't play violin anymore, I loved that instrument and anything else just pales in comparison. Wow, I'm sorry but I'm tearing up while typing this. Guess I didn't realize how I felt until I read it just now.

The kids are starting to show interest in learning violin and I don't enjoy playing alone so who knows. Maybe that will get me going again.

Originally Posted by leigh: I must admit I've been eyeing some violins in my local music shop lately. Maybe one of these days I'll just take the plunge.

As the old saying goes, it takes 5 years to learn to play the violin badly. Takes a bit to get used to it but practice and you'll do fine.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 03 March 2012   #63
composer sound designs and wana be 3d guy
my youtube

Old 03 March 2012   #64
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread