developers: who can convert this plugin to UB?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2006
developers: who can convert this plugin to UB?

willing to pay some money for it.

really needing set instance for UB. anyone willing to take a shot?

thanks

06 June 2006
hi sketchbook,

what's kind of plug is Set Instance?

Cheers
Renato T.

VRayforC4D Site: www.vrayforc4d.net/

06 June 2006
Does this script form per anders help?

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpos...282&postcount=2

Or maybe you need to work with an existing file---which the script wont help with...

06 June 2006
hmm. testing now.

06 June 2006
hmm. doesn't seam to work.

set instance is a plugin which converts whatever you have selected (including multiple objects at a time) into instances at the same spot that the object is located.

i use it constantly.

i have the plugin which is free and can post it to my site maybe. the developer's site seams to be broken with the link now.

06 June 2006
You can't recompile a plugin if you don't have the source code. Even if you have it you would need an agreement of the original author to modify and redistribute it.
Cheers
Björn

06 June 2006
here´s pseudo code for a script:

Getactiveobjects
for each object
create an instance
get the reference matrix
set the instance matrix to the reference matrix

done

shouldn´t be too hard to script in 9.6 :-)

06 June 2006
Originally Posted by Srek: You can't recompile a plugin if you don't have the source code. Even if you have it you would need an agreement of the original author to modify and redistribute it.
Cheers
Björn

did i say recompile?

i guess maybe it sounded that way, but i was only saying i would provide the plug to someone to see how it works.

thanks designer. hopefully someone is interested. it seams silly that c4d does not have this function.

edit: hmm. i guess my first post did seam to indicate a recompile. sorry. how does shamelessly copy sound? better?

06 June 2006
Originally Posted by tcastudios: No multiselection to instances but this places the instance right below the source.
See if it might suit some of your needs.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpos...30&postcount=14

Cheers
Lennart

thanks Lennart!

this works great! you da man

06 June 2006
Originally Posted by Designer: here´s pseudo code for a script:

Getactiveobjects
for each object
create an instance
get the reference matrix
set the instance matrix to the reference matrix

done

shouldn´t be too hard to script in 9.6 :-)

COFFEE doesn't support multiple active objects (i.e.: GetActiveObject() and no GetActiveObjects()). How do you get around that - you need to go through every object in the document and check if its active bit is set. And since COFFEE doesn't support recursion, you need that 'special' technique to traverse hierarchies. Not so simple for the uninitiated.

Robert

C4D-R16, VS2012, Xcode 4.6

06 June 2006
sure it supports recursion, for example here - http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpos...293&postcount=4

06 June 2006
No multiselection to instances but this places the instance right below the source.
See if it might suit some of your needs.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpos...30&postcount=14

Cheers
Lennart

06 June 2006
Originally Posted by Per-Anders: sure it supports recursion, for example here - http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpos...293&postcount=4

I know that there was a major work around in at least COFFEE 6.3 because you couldn't do certain types of recursion. My standard recursive hierarchy traversal (C++, backward recurse) is like this:

void Class::OperateOnObject(BaseObject* obj)
{
	for (obj; obj; obj = obj->GetNext())
	{
		if (obj->GetDown())	OperateOnObject(obj->GetDown());
		// Operate on current obj
	}
}

This didn't work in COFFEE (were talking, yes I tried that naively at first). I had to do this (as stated officially at PluginCafe):

// Response to COFFEE's asking, "What is recursion?"
FloorDialog::GetNexthierarchyObject(obj, stopAt)
{
	if (!obj) return NULL;

if (obj->GetDown()) return obj->GetDown();
	if (obj->GetNext()) return obj->GetNext();

while (obj = obj->GetUp())
	{
		if (obj == stopAt) return NULL;
		if (obj->GetNext()) return obj->GetNext();
	}
}

I had to resort to this because, for certain, recursion did not work when I tried it - which is why I was forced to find and use this solution. I think that you can do recursion, but limited stack was a problem. Maybe they have increased the stack so that recursion of adequate depths is doable. (?)

That is definitely a gotcha that most beginners would be devastated by. Everyone who understands what forward and backward function recursion is, raise your hands.

Robert

C4D-R16, VS2012, Xcode 4.6

06 June 2006
if anyone wonders how my reply to lennart ended up in front of his message, i had started the reply mid day and then didn't hit send till just recently.

weird.

06 June 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread