LC#47 Quixel Megachallenge !

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 1 Week Ago   #61
it has sense in the case of the challenge but doesn'tin the case of supplyingready models for work /:|

Old 1 Week Ago   #62
Hey everyone,

I've been hacking away at my scene as well and it's coming along nicely, but some of my textures aren't fitting well and i'm using Renderman so that might also be causing a problem or two. Sprite Yeti, what did you use for the tree bark?

Old 1 Week Ago   #63
I'm using the wood log texture "Aset_wood_log_M_qdtdP_4K_Albedo.tex" Doesn't work perfect, seems to be running out of texture at branch ends.

Shame there's no Quixel oaktree bark texture packs with this challenge.

Old 1 Week Ago   #64

here is my challenge.
software: MAYA, Arnold, PS, Nuke
added some old model (my previous modelling work)
adjusted UVs for some models and textures are done in PS.
additional flowers from maya visor.

thanks for viewing : )

Last edited by Ahqi : 1 Week Ago at 05:40 PM.

Old 1 Week Ago   #65
Hello,

I hope everyone's challenges are going well so far. Mine has been rather luke warm at best, as i've been texturing the scene it has been breaking in both Renderman and Arnold. Is anyone on here either a Renderman or Arnold wiz and would be willing to help me solve my problems? I've also contacted Renderman support and been on the forums as well and no luck. Haven't looked into Arnold yet.Thank you.

This one here was rendered in Renderman,

While this one here was rendered in Arnold.

Old 1 Week Ago   #66
Originally Posted by whatsthedaydavi: Hello,

I hope everyone's challenges are going well so far. Mine has been rather luke warm at best, as i've been texturing the scene it has been breaking in both Renderman and Arnold. Is anyone on here either a Renderman or Arnold wiz and would be willing to help me solve my problems? I've also contacted Renderman support and been on the forums as well and no luck. Haven't looked into Arnold yet.Thank you.
With Renderman I've been following this guide for linking megascans textures onto PxrSurface. I've adapted the nodes to match the plants or rocks.

https://community.renderman.pixar.c...ascans.html?l=t

If you're missing connections on the PxrSurface in hypershade you can always click on the three lines of your PxrSurface and you should get a massive node with loads of possible material connections. I've been connected the Quixel textures to Diffuse color, specular roughness, bump normal etc.. I've used presence to cut stuff out like leaves. I found it best to convert the textures to Renderman .tex files using the texture manager so you get the textures to appear on the hypershade shader ball when running it in renderman mode, the only texture I left in the original format was the Opacity ones that I've been linking to presence.
At the moment I just run a PxrDomelight to keep things simple.
Looking at your render it looks like you've got spliting on the displacement areas, make sure you've got render settings/advanced/Dice Dice watertight ticked. I've had these Quixel displacement maps balloon on like a default displacement height, so I reduced the setting to below 1.0 more like 0.3. Also as per the guide I linked to, add PxrManifolds into your nodes so you can scale the textures that way.

Old 6 Days Ago   #67
Still needs to fix the texture and also tweek some shaders. Please share your feedback

Last edited by bishtmahesh1 : 5 Days Ago at 02:59 AM. Reason: image fix

Old 5 Days Ago   #68
Originally Posted by SpriteYeti: With Renderman I've been following this guide for linking megascans textures onto PxrSurface. I've adapted the nodes to match the plants or rocks.

https://community.renderman.pixar.c...ascans.html?l=t

If you're missing connections on the PxrSurface in hypershade you can always click on the three lines of your PxrSurface and you should get a massive node with loads of possible material connections. I've been connected the Quixel textures to Diffuse color, specular roughness, bump normal etc.. I've used presence to cut stuff out like leaves. I found it best to convert the textures to Renderman .tex files using the texture manager so you get the textures to appear on the hypershade shader ball when running it in renderman mode, the only texture I left in the original format was the Opacity ones that I've been linking to presence.
At the moment I just run a PxrDomelight to keep things simple.
Looking at your render it looks like you've got spliting on the displacement areas, make sure you've got render settings/advanced/Dice Dice watertight ticked. I've had these Quixel displacement maps balloon on like a default displacement height, so I reduced the setting to below 1.0 more like 0.3. Also as per the guide I linked to, add PxrManifolds into your nodes so you can scale the textures that way.
Hey SpriteYeti,

Thank you for the response and keeping it in a much more uplifting tone, I appreciate it. I made this same post on the Renderman Subreddit a few days ago and a few of those users have some to my rescue. I IPR rendered my scene once again and everything is starting to look as it should, but needs quite a bit more tweaking. I'm going to check out that link that you have given me because it sounds like some pretty good information. I have a PxR Rect light up above my scene to provide the same thing you have for now. Right now i'm looking at finding some way to make the trees look nice, I'm hoping there is a way to procedurally generate it as I think that might be nice, and to make all of the colors look good as well. Thank you for your help!

Old 4 Days Ago   #69
Great scene though too heavy for my machine so i had to create a smaller scene and use some models from he files provided. I have Two images not sure which to decide one.

I used the soil Textures, Grass and wood chunks from the scene.

Old 1 Day Ago   #70

Old 1 Day Ago   #71

WIP.
Low Res Images.

Old 1 Day Ago   #72

reply share thread