Too late to start 2d/3d art?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

02 February 2015
Too late to start 2d/3d art?

First of all, hi everyone. I'm 21 and I want to work as an 2d/3d artist. My main interest is 3d like modelling in 3dsmax or something similar. Question is about drawing so that's why I posted in this section. I don't have any art knowledge and my best work is copying anime art. I can't draw from life very well but I want to learn. I read Lunatique's "Why 3d artist..." thread and want to go his way. Learn 2d and adapt to 3d when time comes. I currently have Keys to Drawing book but haven't started with it yet. I also consider getting Jack Hamm drawing head and figure book. So I want to ask. How much time do I need to get solid drawing skills along with art theory? Should I first learn 2d and then get to 3d, or can I do it along with each other?

I don't like wall of texts too, but I would really appreciate any advice given. It's really something I'm willing to get into.

02 February 2015

Tracing tracing tracing and copying.

There was a tattoo artist who transitioned to pencil drawing .In one year he mastered it and why? Because he had spend years mastering line work by tracing tattoos on ppls skin. Inkers also know the importance of line weight and smooth pristine lines.Now the whole point is to just simulate drawing,it is not for show .

Disclaimer though you have to still learn how the process works from observation cause you need to know how to apply your mid tones before your black tones.You could only trace a drawing if you are using the same exact tool or similar.You have to still know how to hold the pencil/pen or if the person used a whiteout brush to create his effects etc..So its not just tracing but how to use your instrument in the right order..

If you are using photoshop ,you can use a multiple layers with transparency set on your bottom image. .If you are using a book,you can use a blue erasable pencil to draw on top of your actual book(no tracing paper needed).I recommend you trace on drawing manuals that show the step by step process rather than a finish piece(disney coloring books are good for tracing too).

For 3d modeling you can learn topolgy by downloading other peoples models and retopo the model with magnet vertex and a solid modifier for thickness.,thus remembering the wireframe of different models will make you better at reading topology.You'll also know that topology increases set of numbers when you apply subdivisions.

This also works with any other aspect of 3d software,you can download other peoples files and learn how backwards engineer it by copying the nodes ,hair particle meters, uv texture seams etc...

The final conclusion is that tracing(or copying) and the ability to backwards engineer an art piece rather the mona lisa or a maya file is what will make you a more accurate artist.Everything is a formula to be decoded.Anyways i think you get my point. I'm currently an art student myself so take my advice with strife if you want.-Alex

02 February 2015
Well, I decided to dedicate most of my time to drawing, I put college as 2nd priority because it won't help me much if I would try to work in video game or similar industry. I started to take this seriously just recently, so I'm using beginner drawing books and some youtube tutorials to learn. I hope it will all be good if everything goes as planned. Thanks for the answer, I always like to learn from people who know their stuff.

reply share thread