Old 03-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #1
Theiamania
Veteran
portfolio
Theiamania Theiamania
Hamburg, Germany

Linear Work flow Vray - Maya: Passes

Hallo everybody,
I'd like to know something about render passes (Render Elemetns) in Vray - Maya using LWF.
In Maya - Mental ray LWF, when you are ready with your rendering, you have to set up passes Updating mia_material_x to mia_material_x _passes before strating render passes. In Vray-Maya LWF, I didn't find in any therad I read this process and I'd like to know if I can directly setup in Render Elements which kind of passes I need and than start to render or if I have to set up something special before render passes in VRay.
Of course i just tried to make Render Element passes and I obtained all my passes but for example, Specular and Z Depth are completely black... despite the fact that I had a light in the scene and a beveled cube...

In this image, switching to single passes, I can see rightly Diffuse, GI, Reflect, Shadow but... Specular and Z Depth are completely black...
Many thank!

Old 03-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
Kyron
Cat lover

portfolio
Christian Kragh
Method Studios
Copenhagen, Denmark

You need to set up the min/max value for the zdepth in the render element.
As for the specular being black, Iīm guessing itīs because you donīt have any specularity in your scene (try adding a reflection pass to see if that one works).

Old 03-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
Theiamania
Veteran
portfolio
Theiamania Theiamania
Hamburg, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyron
You need to set up the min/max value for the zdepth in the render element.
As for the specular being black, Iīm guessing itīs because you donīt have any specularity in your scene (try adding a reflection pass to see if that one works).

Hi Kyron,
I use these passes but specular and Z-depth passes are completely black. I don't understand...

I attache my setup.
Many thanks!

Old 03-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
Kyron
Cat lover

portfolio
Christian Kragh
Method Studios
Copenhagen, Denmark

As for the specular being black. It could be because you donīt have any specular in your scene like I mentioned earlier. Have you tried to recreate the beauty by adding the: reflection, refraction, lighting, specular, GI selfillumination and SSS ?

Regarding the zDepth, try and uncheck "use depth from the camera" and manually dial in a min/max value for the black and white depth.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
Theiamania
Veteran
portfolio
Theiamania Theiamania
Hamburg, Germany

Sorry, I'm starting with rendering in Vray...
what do you means with "you donīt have any specular in your scene"? I've a Vray Rect Light as you can see from chrome sphere reflection, and this light should create specular highlights in black box edges...
About recreate beauty what do you means?
Anyway, I deleted old passes and create new suggested passes but nothing change... SSS, selfillu, lighting ...
Zdepth always black

Old 03-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
Kyron
Cat lover

portfolio
Christian Kragh
Method Studios
Copenhagen, Denmark

I mean a specular component. Just as your GI or SSS passes would render black if you didnīt have either in your scene .

Can you upload the scene somewhere for me to look at? Also what version of Vray are you using?

If itīs a bug you should report it to the Chaosgroup site, Iīm sure Vlado could fix it.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
Theiamania
Veteran
portfolio
Theiamania Theiamania
Hamburg, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyron
I mean a specular component. Just as your GI or SSS passes would render black if you didnīt have either in your scene .

Can you upload the scene somewhere for me to look at? Also what version of Vray are you using?

If itīs a bug you should report it to the Chaosgroup site, Iīm sure Vlado could fix it.

I use Maya 2012 *Mac osx( ] Vray 2.00.04

give me an email i send you maya scene, please.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
Kyron
Cat lover

portfolio
Christian Kragh
Method Studios
Copenhagen, Denmark

I fixed the scene for you. Like I mentioned earlier you were missing a specular component in your shaders. You chrome had no glossiness and thereby only contributing to reflection.

I duplicated the shader and added a bit of gloss so you can see it. I also added self illumination and SSS to some objects so you can see that they work.

As for comping them: if you add all the passes in Nuke you should just use a merge node and set them to "Plus". In AE or Photoshop itīs the "Add" function.

Your zdepth was also set really high. Because your scene is so small I manually changed the values for min/max black and white.

http://www.speedyshare.com/csDqs/LWF.rar

Old 03-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
Theiamania
Veteran
portfolio
Theiamania Theiamania
Hamburg, Germany

God bless you! tomorrow i fix my scene. Many Thanks!

Old 03-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
Theiamania
Veteran
portfolio
Theiamania Theiamania
Hamburg, Germany

Hi check now scene and is all right but the box "on the right" has still not any specular haghlight...

(and I don't also know have you ut self illuminated).
I'd like just to have a specular highlights on a f.e. black box over the edges. In your fix scene , on the green box, we cannot notate any edge... also when I make of Selfillumination.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #11
Kyron
Cat lover

portfolio
Christian Kragh
Method Studios
Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theiamania
Hi check now scene and is all right but the box "on the right" has still not any specular haghlight...

(and I don't also know have you ut self illuminated).
I'd like just to have a specular highlights on a f.e. black box over the edges. In your fix scene , on the green box, we cannot notate any edge... also when I make of Selfillumination.

Not sure what you are asking, I can see English isnīt your first language but I will try to do my best to answer.

1. I made a selfilluminating object (the box) and a refractive sphere and SSS sphere, just so you did not have any empty render passes. And to make sure they werenīt bugged.

2. If you want a specular highlight you need two things. A shader with reflection on and glossiness set to something below 1.0.
If you create a Vray mat and assign it to an object and it does not show any specularity, chances are that you have not followed the above mentioned steps.

3. If I misunderstood please let me know.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #12
Theiamania
Veteran
portfolio
Theiamania Theiamania
Hamburg, Germany

Hi K,
1 - Sorry for my English... :(
2 - I obtained finally what I wanted:

I've just right bevel the Edges and set up Reflection Colors and Reflection Glossiness. Now I can see also specular highlights on the edges in Specular pass (VFB)
So, really many, many thanks!

Old 03-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #13
Kyron
Cat lover

portfolio
Christian Kragh
Method Studios
Copenhagen, Denmark

Glad I could help. I never thought about looking at the actual geometry in your scene, but like you mentioned, you have to have a bevel of some sort in order to catch a specular highlight

Old 03-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #14
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread