Help with final image

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Help with final image

Apologies if this is a re-post. I did not see my original thread and would love some constructive criticism on this piece. Perhaps the detail level could be higher. Fresh eyes are badly needed. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golfer1.jpg (75.6 KB, 41 views)

Old 04 April 2013   #2
I think the blurriness/edges need to be adjusted.

The face details look blurry while the grass and club details way below looks very crisp.

Closer things need to have clearer edges than further things.

Below is a helpful link I found on the issue of edges:

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ips-and-Tricks

That is the critique, but its a very enjoyable piece. Thanks for sharing.

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Thank you

Thanks Faris! The face was my main concern. I'll need to use another brush to sharpen things up. I'm still experimenting with painting skin textures in Photoshop. I've found myself relying too much on the softest round default brush and obviously need to re-think my approach to the skin. I'm used to traditional painting and still learning how to approach things in the digital world. Also, thank you for the link. All the best. John

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Thank you

Thanks Faris! The face was my main concern. I'll need to use another brush to sharpen things up. I'm still experimenting with painting skin textures in Photoshop. I've found myself relying too much on the softest round default brush and obviously need to re-think my approach to the skin. I'm used to traditional painting and still learning how to approach things in the digital world. Also, thank you for the link. All the best. John

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Additional info

I realize my initial comments were too vague. I'm new to this site and new to digital painting. Hopefully this will help. I'd like responses about the overall handling of the painting from a technical perspective. I'm happy with the composition but thoughts on that are welcome, indeed. I'm not comfortable with the face, at this point. I've used the soft round brush too much, I think. Thoughts on skin? Brush advice? All info is good info. Thanks so much. John

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Hmm, checking the link I posted earlier about edges, I hope it worked for you, it looks like its broken to me, if it is im very sorry about that.

Not that it is better or worse, but I personally use a hard brush first, then on top of it a scattering dotted brush. I apply colour scattering to it to create the colour variations of the skin. Then I apply a blur brush very gradually.

Also a good short-cut I like in CS5 is the Alt+Right click then move, to change brush size and softness while working.

Maybe others will pitch in.

Here is a tutorials page on skin that I enjoyed though it doesn't tackle edges specifically:

http://navate.deviantart.com/gallery/11609382

Old 04 April 2013   #7
I think your current treatment of the background flattens the sense of distance too much. Use some atmospheric perspective so that the far away background actually looks like it's far away.

Old 04 April 2013   #8
Originally Posted by Lunatique: I think your current treatment of the background flattens the sense of distance too much. Use some atmospheric perspective so that the far away background actually looks like it's far away.

Thanks for the fresh eyes Lunatique. It seems obvious when I look at it now. If he hit that ball it looks as though it would hit a wall! I'll dive back into this one once I figure out my Batman piece. I appreciate the help.

Old 04 April 2013   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread