Copy UVs/ Delete material IDs

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Copy UVs/ Delete material IDs

Hey guys,

I have two models that are the same but have different UVs. The first model has one material ID channel and is the UV I would like to use for both models, the second model has about 30 material ID channels and has several shaders applied to the one object.

I want to clear the UVs from the second model and replace them with them with the one from the first. I have tried to copy over the Unwrap UVW but I think its getting confused with all the material IDs =S

Anyone know how I should proceed?

Thanks

Old 03 March 2013   #2
is it the same geometry?

Old 03 March 2013   #3
I think so, I bought a fully rigged dinosaur and it came with an extra OBJ. They look exactly the same except for the different UVs

Old 03 March 2013   #4
Use the channel info utility to copy/paste the UVs. As for the IDs I'd just select all polys and set them to whatever ID manually. The Material modifier would be a solution too.

Old 03 March 2013   #5
You can ciopy and paste UVs from one model to another from inside the UVUnwrap modifier too. Select all polys in the edit window, right click, copy. Assign a UVWUnwrap to the other model, again select all polys and right click paste.

However. Just because the models look identical does not mean their vertex order is the same. Often it isn't when a model has been imported from obj or similar. If the vertex order is different, then this won't work and nor will the channel info utility. You'll get a big mess.

You can try projecting UVs from one model to the other using the projection modifier, but I've rarely had success with that.

And the material id issue shouldn't affect it. Mat ids and UVs aren't connected. Assign all polys the same id and that should be all there is to it.

Another thing you can try is to use render to texture to bake a new texture from the original model with lots of materials to the new one with proper uvs. That might be best.

Old 03 March 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread