anatomy troubles - unlock magic image

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #1
anatomy troubles - unlock magic image

This is a 12"x18" piece i sent today for proof print.. its pro bono work for a school, so was a good opportunity for me to get some drawing practice in. I honestly have not done any anatomy drawing since university, and this was rather difficult for me to fix.

I tried hard to keep to basic rules for proportions, but the head angle ended up making it hard for me to judge ear placement as well as facial structures. (the hair seems stringy to me too).

anyway, i may get a chance to correct these things before they go to print for their yearbooks, so any feedback would be wonderful.

oh, i failed to mention that i have no reference images (all from mind), and the software i'm using is Sketchbook pro.

- link to large format -

before:

after:

Last edited by tswalk : 12 December 2012 at 02:33 PM.

Old 12 December 2012   #2
i mirrored the image and sketched over the head again.. i think i have the skull in the right angle.

from this:

to this:

Old 12 December 2012   #3
so, i dug up the Loomis method and am giving that a shot here to fix it...

still some things to fix, but i hope its' starting to look better...

Old 12 December 2012   #4
made a few adjustments, think i'll give this a rest for a while.

Old 12 December 2012   #5
Why didn't you use any reference, especially when you know you're lacking in anatomy/figure? It would help immensely with your clothing folds too, because it doesn't look natural right now.

Nothing is more helpful than proper usage of reference--especially if you shoot your own. Don't be influenced by those who like to wear their "no references used!" disclaimers as if it's some badge of honor--it isn't. Many types of artwork can only benefit from using references.

The lighting is a b it flat. You suggest there's a light source in front of him, but we don't see that light source on other objects in the scene.

You also have value coherency problems. If his clothes are showing a dramatic difference in values between the lit and shadow sides, then why aren't we seeing similar degree of difference in values elsewhere on him?

Old 12 December 2012   #6
Originally Posted by Lunatique: Why didn't you use any reference, especially when you know you're lacking in anatomy/figure? It would help immensely with your clothing folds too, because it doesn't look natural right now.

Nothing is more helpful than proper usage of reference--especially if you shoot your own. Don't be influenced by those who like to wear their "no references used!" disclaimers as if it's some badge of honor--it isn't. Many types of artwork can only benefit from using references.

The lighting is a b it flat. You suggest there's a light source in front of him, but we don't see that light source on other objects in the scene.

You also have value coherency problems. If his clothes are showing a dramatic difference in values between the lit and shadow sides, then why aren't we seeing similar degree of difference in values elsewhere on him?

thank you for the feedback.. all very valid points i'll try to address.

Old 12 December 2012   #7
i took a bit of time yesterday to find a few references... i made the following composite with a few of the pictures that reminded me of an action character... wearing a suit

i noticed mostly the greater contrast as you pointed out, and attempted to correct that as well as skin tones.

Old 12 December 2012   #8

this helped greatly in giving the head more form i believe...

adding a bit of environmental lighting to the books i think also helped.

Old 12 December 2012   #9
thank you for your feedback Lunatique, i really appreciated it.. and i know the kids are going to love it!

Old 12 December 2012   #10
The back/top of his scalp seems to be a bit small. When checking proportions, always "draw through" so you're drawing the person totally bald and nude, so make sure everything is right, before you put clothes and hair on the person.

As for piecing together various photos, you should read about the dangers of "Frankensteining":
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...f=166&t=1035049

Check that eyebrow--the hair growth direction of eyebrows have a very specific pattern--you need to follow it accurately. It starts out going up at the inner corner, then becomes horizontal near the middle, then at the outer 1/3, turns downward at a slant.

You also need to study the ear's anatomy--it doesn't look right. Again, just take your own photo references. Everybody has cameras these days--even on their cellphones, so there's no excuse. You can shoot yourself with a mirror, tripod, or shoot your family and friends. Dress up, use household lights, have fun. Direct your models as if you're a movie director--ask them to be expressive and emote according to the image's narrative. That is the very best solution possible for achieving the best results in your image.

Last edited by Lunatique : 12 December 2012 at 09:22 PM.

Old 12 December 2012   #11
Originally Posted by Lunatique: The back/top of his scalp seems to be a bit small. When checking proportions, always "draw through" so you're drawing the person totally bald and nude, so make sure everything is right, before you put clothes and hair on the person.

As for piecing together various photos, you should read about the dangers of "Frankensteining":
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...f=166&t=1035049

Check that eyebrow--the hair growth direction of eyebrows have a very specific pattern--you need to follow it accurately. It starts out going up at the inner corner, then becomes horizontal near the middle, then at the outer 1/3, turns downward at a slant.

You also need to study the ear's anatomy--it doesn't look right. Again, just take your own photo references. Everybody has cameras these days--even on their cellphones, so there's no excuse. You can shoot yourself with a mirror, tripod, or shoot your family and friends. Dress up, use household lights, have fun. Direct your models as if you're a movie director--ask them to be expressive and emote according to the image's narrative. That is the very best solution possible for achieving the best results in your image.

you're absolutely right on all points... thank you.
especially the head, wow... now that you pointed that out.. i'm kinda laughing at myself here!

i'm definitely going to need to take some photos, scanning google for images just doesn't cut it.

Old 12 December 2012   #12
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread