Important petition : connection between the renderqueue and the pictureviewer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Hi Peter. Ok I get it.
It's one of those things that may not seem as a streamlined workflow, but will save tons of time if any errors are caught within the rendering time. Also, it's a "stress lowering" feature.
I don't know about Maxon, but I have a plan to see if this is possible with a simple plugin.
Let me look into it and I'll keep you posted.

Best Regards.

04 April 2013
Of course I also agree with peter, I'm working on C4D 11.5 and I can't imagine working with the new renderbatch system.

Preview renders, lower res - yes, I think almost everyone does that, but stress, lack of time, sickness etc. creates more risk to do a mistake. You can't always see some artifacts, or small gaps in lower res anim, or still.

Dann... People don't sit always all the time in front of the computer to watch if the image is ok. The old renderbatch gives you the opportunity to go away from the computer and come to it after few minutes and check if everything is ok.

Creating two cinema folders? Don't be offended but are you serious?! This is what we get for paying new c4d updates? To go back and have to play with folders like 0.9 ver of program?

What bothers me the most, why Maxon just didn't make an option to use the preview or not. Was it that difficult?

Cheers

Portfolio: www.rwvision.pl

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by RwVision: What bothers me the most, why Maxon just didn't make an option to use the preview or not. Was it that difficult?

There is a speed hit when you have to refresh the image while rendering. Also, it seems that the majority of users didn't care about the lack of preview.
I can understand, after Peter's explanation, how much this can make your life easier though.

04 April 2013
i think the majority just didnt say any yet (as me), an option really would
not hurt,the speed hit is not dramatic at all.

i dont understand this can be a discussion at all.(if no techical issue that makes it impossible speaks against)
http://rhino.io

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by lllab: i dont understand this can be a discussion at all.(if no techical issue that makes it impossible speaks against)

I'm discussing this with Niklas, to see if it is possible to do it with a script or plug.

@Peter
Are you on Mac or Windows?

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by noseman: I'm discussing this with Niklas, to see if it is possible to do it with a script or plug.

The simplest way would be to trigger several renders in sequence with a script. However, if the script is running in the main thread, it will block GUI interactions. Thus, the script or plugin needs to run in a separate thread that allows the main message loop to handle the GUI / picture view messages.
While Python allows the creation of threads, I haven't yet tried to trigger a picture viewer render from another thread. I'm curious whether this might cause issues with C4D's threading system.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by RwVision: Dann... People don't sit always all the time in front of the computer to watch if the image is ok. The old renderbatch gives you the opportunity to go away from the computer and come to it after few minutes and check if everything is ok.

Creating two cinema folders? Don't be offended but are you serious?! This is what we get for paying new c4d updates? To go back and have to play with folders like 0.9 ver of program?

What bothers me the most, why Maxon just didn't make an option to use the preview or not. Was it that difficult?

Cheers

yes i agree it would be nice to have the feature back - even if a small percentage of users want it, if it was a simple "fix" to put back then it would be the best solution.

but, my goal is to solve the problem, and keep work getting done - or find a way to solve the problem, not tilt at windmills or whine about something missing into the wind.

i did that for a while about NET and better/new/missing/ features and nothing happens, yet deadlines and work still needs to be done - so i just would not hold my breath about this missing feature and i would find a way to work NOW.

i was just giving options and ideas on how to get the issue solved without waiting on a fix/update that may never come.

some may "refuse" to work around things due to principal alone - but that will not solve the problem either - so as i said - my goal in life is to solve my problem as easy and efficiently as i can - even if it is not the most elegant and get back on with more important things

dann
-

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by Cairyn: The simplest way would be to trigger several renders in sequence with a script. However, if the script is running in the main thread, it will block GUI interactions. Thus, the script or plugin needs to run in a separate thread that allows the main message loop to handle the GUI / picture view messages.
While Python allows the creation of threads, I haven't yet tried to trigger a picture viewer render from another thread. I'm curious whether this might cause issues with C4D's threading system.

yes, there are some issues with the implementation, but I'm confident a solution will be found.
I'll post my finds here.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by dann_stubbs: or run images on multiple computers in your office using picture viewer etc

That's indeed the solution i would prefer, 3 or 4 computers for rendering
but it has a big prize tag that's not justified in this economic climate

Originally Posted by AdamT: That may not reveal 100% of the problems, but it should suffice to eliminate issues like lights turned off or object visibility turned off, etc.

we do as many previews as possible, but there's always a deadline etc...
ex. with GI & AA you sometimes see you could have used lower-settings, when doing the full rendering

Originally Posted by noseman: Hi Peter. Ok I get it.
It's one of those things that may not seem as a streamlined workflow, but will save tons of time if any errors are caught within the rendering time. Also, it's a "stress lowering" feature.
I don't know about Maxon, but I have a plan to see if this is possible with a simple plugin.
Let me look into it and I'll keep you posted.

Best Regards.

Wow that would be great, thanks !
"something to create a batch, that opens c4dfiles and starts them rendering with the pictureviewer open" thats it basically

i'm working on Mac with R13

btw from what i understand maxon made the render-queue without a bigger previewwindow to save RAM when doing large animations

04 April 2013
Hi Peter,
for animations, all you have to do in the Render Queue is double click on the project, and it will open the animation in the Picture Viewer. That's why they didn't include a bigger preview :-)

04 April 2013
just in case you missed it:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=47&t=1102212

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread