ENDER'S GAME Reviews: Not a game changer, but manages to succeed to a certain level.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #1
ENDER'S GAME Reviews: Not a game changer, but manages to succeed to a certain level.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/enders-game/

"The film manages a sustained sense of momentum and tone that is rare for a contemporary, big-budget movie."

"This movie, an old-fashioned morality play masquerading as a kinetic video-game in space, understands some basic truths about youngsters."

'While writer and director Gavin Hood may not be Mr. Style or a science-fiction visionary, he gets the story told, with appealing actors at the center."

"The adaptation is a shallow sci-fi spectacle that almost makes you care."

"Ender's Game doesn't seem like it's worth playing."

"Butterfield, with piercing gaze and singular intensity, brings novelist Orson Scott Card's signature child hero to full and vivid life in filmmaker Gavin Hood's epic adaptation of Card's sci-fi classic, "Ender's Game."

"None of it is convincing in the least."

"Ambitious and exceedingly well designed, "Ender's Game" is mummified in the drama department. It's absolutely cold to the touch, with clumsy scenes sapping power from the material's thought-provoking commentary on war."

"Ender's Game isn't a terrific movie, but it could have been a hell of a lot worse."

Old 10 October 2013   #2
I know a few young folks that were looking forward to this as they are fans of the book.

Having viewed the trailer I can't help but roll my eyes at the over the top,
ridiculous cg as it simply looks like ass to me.

So over the top that it made me long for the days of pre cg enhanced films.

Old 11 November 2013   #3
Got to see a prescreening this morning. Sit through a 2-hour tech presentation on enterprise SANs, see a movie for free. By Grabthar's hammer what a savings! But anyway, I knew nothing of the books or the story but a friend of mine highly recommended it. So this is a view of the movie only.

I thought it was good. It was the kind of movie that if they had gone campy one bit, like with an over the top super villain or cheesy fx it would've all fallen apart because the story was so ludicrous. But, because it was treated seriously I was able to be drawn into the story. Having said that the story was much heavier than I expected it to be. Part of me thought it would be something like Eragon but I was pleasantly surprised. The FX were very good. The mix of traditional and CG was also well done. It helped ground a lot of the sets a bit more.

Overall it was a good time but I doubt I would've paid money to see it though.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 11 November 2013   #4
^

Like you I knew nothing about the books or the movie other then the youtube movie trailer. I liked it alot. I can not wait for this blu ray. A+

Some times you just have to turn your brain off. I see alot of people on this site make comments about cg effects and how they would have done shadows or this effect or what ever and they just don't under stand that when people go see the movie they are not like wow that effect would have been better if they added this blur effect or put more lighting in X spot. In every Cg movie people on this side do this.

I loved the movie and I have no go read the books now for sure.

Old 11 November 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread