DAVE School reviews

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
DAVE School reviews

Hi, I'm considering signing up for DAVE School (The Digital Animation and Visual Effects School) in Orlando, FL for the fall. Does anyone have any reviews or experience with them they'd like to share? Another question is, how did you go about obtaining loans and what lenders are recommended to pay for the 12 month program?

Old 04 April 2013   #2
Hola,

I would recommend that you not take out loans to go there. I'm not sure what your portfolio looks like, what you financial situation is, what your academic track record is like, or your age and maturity, but taking out a big loan for a place like this is generally a bad deal.

-AJ

Old 04 April 2013   #3
I was going to go there but they want you to drop like 10,000 to them right off the bat. You would have to go get a personal loan as they do not have such a system in place to do loans. I have heard good and bad about the school,I don't think you want to be strapped with a big debt. I would try and go someplace cheaper.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Thank you for your responses. Can you recommend any other schools in Florida?

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Originally Posted by AJ1: Hola,

I would recommend that you not take out loans to go there. I'm not sure what your portfolio looks like, what you financial situation is, what your academic track record is like, or your age and maturity, but taking out a big loan for a place like this is generally a bad deal.

-AJ

And why is that? I understand (if correct) that they have an extremely high placement rate, and most that have get up and go that came through there have really went far.

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Originally Posted by jburford: And why is that? I understand (if correct) that they have an extremely high placement rate, and most that have get up and go that came through there have really went far.

I'm sure DAVE School is great if you can afford it. Unfortunately, its a for profit unaccredited private institution, and you'll have to take out a pretty high interest private loan if you cant pay cash. Those are very different from the federally backed student loans that you might get to attend an accredited public university. That 35K tutition could balloon to over 60K with a private loan.

-AJ

Old 04 April 2013   #7
The Dave school is good from what I have seen from some of the students. I don't think you want to get caught up in the private loan side of things. I wanted to go there myself but I knew I could not afford it.

Old 04 April 2013   #8
Originally Posted by posercat: Thank you for your responses. Can you recommend any other schools in Florida?

Don't count out your local public universities. I've read UF is one of the top public schools in the country, and tuition is only like 5K per semester.

Old 04 April 2013   #9
Check out UCF and FSA

Check out the programs at Florida State University and University of Central Florida.

Old 07 July 2013   #10
The DAVE School

Hi Everyone,

My name is Lauren Dottley and I am an Admissions Advisor at the DAVE School. I saw this thread of comments and wanted to post some information about the school and our financing options that we offer for students. I hope this information helps.

The school is a 1 year Certification Program and we are an accredited school through ACICS. (http://www.acics.org/)

As of right now the school does have a financing option that we offer to students. The current tuition rate for the 1 year program is $33,500. Our Student Accounts Representative can answer any specific questions for you and let you know if there are any other current financing options that the school is offering. Please feel free to call or email 407-224-3283.

The option that we offer is an in-housing financing option with the school though a company called Tuition Options. This option will allow you and/or a co-signer to fill out a Credit Application for an education loan to help fund the program. With this loan the max amount you can apply for is $28,500. If you are eligible for this loan there will still be a reaming amount of $5,000 that you will need to get covered for the tuition. The $5,000 will need to be paid one month before you start the program and then you will start making monthly payments towards your loan one month after you start the program. (Payment amounts, length of the loan, etc. will be based open your credit score/credit history and how much money you are apply to take out.)

There are reviews from students and graduates that can be found online but here are some links to a few you can check out. Some of the information in these threads has changed since they were posted, for example the software used, graduation rate, financing and Student Housing options, etc. Please contact the school to receive updated and current information on the program and school. 407-224-3283.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...09121430AAfGtvk

http://www.weaklyanimated.com/2010/...hool-visit.html

http://www.animationcareerreview.co...ack-lot-orlando

http://www.daveschool.com/index.php...success-stories

If you have any questions about graduation rate, what students have worked on, or any job related questions, please feel free to email Michael Keith in our Career Services Department. His email is mkeith@daveschool.com

Thanks,
Admissions Advisor
The DAVE School
2500 Universal Studios Plaza
Soundstage 25
Orlando, FL 32819

407-224-3283
ldottley@daveschool.com

Old 07 July 2013   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread