Do you also feel cheated?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  01 January 2013
there is one program, which goes mostly unnoticed by the cg-community, but as an architect i work 50/50 max and rhino. yes rhino.. this oldschool command line driven nurbs modeller with no real ui concept except lots of buttons - but hear me out:
Due to its open architecture, it can connect over the shiny new node based editor (grasshopper) to almost anything, from a kinect to a robot arm or your iphone. through the sdk and the node based approach you can write your own c# nodes in realtime - and there is physics, fluids and tons of other stuff created by the community. The core geometry engine is incredibly well maintained over the years, and a version cycle is usually 4 years.

This is the one exception i can name regarding this mature program decline thing..
I would love to switch my pipeline to this software, but without a decent ui concept (speed) and the fact its not intended for cg people makes it impossible for now - still its a good example how things can be made the right way (even while keeping an ui concept from the stone age)
  share thread