mastajappa
Frequenter

portfolio
Jasper Hesseling
3D Artist
Mayonnaise
Utrecht, Netherlands

Send a message via MSN to mastajappa
Nice work brian. It is nice to see you progress over time. I've been looking at animation schools or courses for a while but they are all so expensive. But I guess iAnimate is probably a good way to go.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #17
Horganovski
Freelance Animator/Rigger

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

Many thanks guys! I work really hard at this so it's great to hear that you guys can see improvement in it.

Regarding iAnimate, I can only say good things about it. I have a ton of books and tutorials on animation here but there's really nothing else that compares to having someone experienced look at your work every week and point out where it could be better and exactly what you need to work on to push it to a higher standard. (One thing I've realized recently is that my technical skills are pretty solid, as is my workflow, my teacher often compliments how fast I am, but it's the artistic side I need to improve on, so I've started drawing every day along with my studies to really try to improve my eye).

Regarding cost, yes it's not cheap but pretty reasonable compared to most of the competition. It's very flexible too, you can take a workshop, then take a break and go back to it when finances/work situation or other life factors suit best. I took workshop 3 in Jan 2012 and this year I've done workshop 4 and am now doing workshop 5. After that I'm going to take a break again (it's pretty intensive sometimes balancing it with work and regular life!) and hope to do the last two workshops 6 and 7 next year.

The best thing for me though, is that the classes and critique sessions are live via webcam, so you get to interact directly with your teacher, rather than just getting a recorded crit like Animation Mentor do (the classes and crits are recorded too so you can rewatch them and also check out the ones from other teachers to get a broader view on how different animators work).

Sorry if this all reads like an ad, (no I'm not being paid by iA!) but I think you'll get a similar response from any student there. Highly recommended if you want to become a better animator.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 05-28-2013 at 02:01 AM.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #18
mastajappa
Frequenter

portfolio
Jasper Hesseling
3D Artist
Mayonnaise
Utrecht, Netherlands

Send a message via MSN to mastajappa
Nice to know you can take breaks to keep it doable and affordable. I will try to save up some funds for iAnimate in the near future. Got the rigging down but character animation is still a bit daunting.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #19
vid2k2
Expert

Love it. Great work. Wanting more

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.9.5 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

R.I.P. 11.02.11 ... my dear friend .

Old 05-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #20
Horganovski
Freelance Animator/Rigger

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

Thanks David, there's more on the way for sure! This block I'm animating a female character for my first assignment which is fun for a change. She's kind of a badass character, not to be messed with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastajappa
Got the rigging down but character animation is still a bit daunting.

Yeah, for me rigging is the easy part, because to a certain extent it either works or it doesn't, whereas animation is a lot more subjective and there are a lot more things you have to think about to make it work.
A number of times I've been hired by clients who are new to character work and they've said 'we just need you to rig the character(s) and then we'll handle the animation here'. So I do that and send them the rigs. A couple of days later I get an email back with something like 'eh.. we've discovered animating is a lot harder than we expected.. can you do it?'. Those are my favorite jobs though in a way as it's almost a bummer building a rig, testing it out and then not getting to do the fun part of creating some animation with it

Cheers,
Brian

Old 05-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #21
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread