Old 07-24-2007, 06:22 PM   #31
Ego
Ninja, eats knives

portfolio
Ego Lataire
Program Director
Flemish Classical Atelier
Belgium

Thanks Rob. I went back to your site and read the tutorial again. I had missed one tiny step this time around. I had forgotten to copy the Rob's Brushes.jpg into the library as well.

::Flemish Classical Atelier::
Art residencies:: Intensive Drawing and Painting workshops
in Brugge, Belgium

Old 07-29-2007, 09:19 AM   #32
PatriciaTesla

So cool thread! Thank you very much.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:37 PM   #33
Hiun
Know-it-All

portfolio
Kamal Khalil
Jamaica

Send a message via MSN to Hiun
Painter X Brush Set

I am still quite new to CGSociety, so I was just exploring and I ran into this thread, so I decided I would love to share my recent custom brushes with everyone.

The Brush was created by 2 flowers and the leaves of 1 flower (Gloxinia flower, Forget Me Not flower, and the Heliotrope flower leaves). The Brush Set is the same captured dab with 2 variants, a Chalk and an Oil.

Captured Dab:

I created the brush specifically for my piece... "Perfect" entered in the CGChallenge XXI - Strange Behavior.

The single brush did EVERYTHING you see here (only changing of size):

Download the .zip file here:
KYK Brushes

*KYK is just my abbreviated full name - Kamal Y Khalil

Instructions:
Simply copy the folder with the Brush Category and JPEG (KYK Textures) to your Painter brush library. Or if you simply just wish to add the individual brushes (Perfect Brush Chalk & Perfect Brush Oil) to an existing library, feel free to do so. I will continue to update my library and share with everyone, I hope you will enjoy the Brush Set. Feel free to share your thoughts.
ENJOY!

Old 10-30-2007, 06:48 AM   #34
Jinbrown
A Corel Painter Lover

Jinny Brown
Painter Instructor, Tutorials, Demos, Painter Info, and Resources at PixelAlley. Support Painter users in Painter Community lists, boards, newsgroups and other Painter forums and graphics forums.
USA

Lovely brushes, Kamal. Thanks!

I've just downloaded the ZIP file and since people are easily confused about installing custom brushes, I'll expand on and clarify the instructions, providing three options:
  • To install the whole brush library,
  • To install the brush category only into an existing brush library, or
  • To install the brush variants only into an existing brush category
NOTE: This brush library contains brush variants created for Painter X and will not work in earlier versions.

Option One - To install the KYK Brushes brush library:

1. Extract the Zip file (containing the KYK Brushes brush library) into the following Painter X application/program folder:

Mac - Applications > Corel Painter X > Brushes

Windows - Program Files > Corel > Corel Painter X > Brushes

2. Launch Painter X and, in the Brush Selector menu, choose Load Library.

3. Highlight the brush library named KYK Brushes, then click the Load button.

Option Two - If you want to add only the brush category to an existing brush library:

1. Create a new folder somewhere outside of the Painter X application/program folder.

2. Extract the Zip file into that new folder.

3. Open the folder named KYK Brushes.

4. Highlight and copy both the KYK Textures brush category folder and the KYK Textures.jpg brush category icon image file.

5. Navigate to the following folder:

Mac - Applications > Corel Painter X > Brushes > [Brush Library Name]

Windows - Program Files > Corel > Corel Painter X > Brushes > [Brush Library Name]

6. Open that brush library folder and paste the copied KYK Textures brush category folder and KYK Textures.jpg brush category icon image file.

7. Launch Painter X and load the appropriate brush library. In the Brush Selector's brush category list, you should now see the KYK Textures brush category.

Option Three - If you want to add only the brush variants to an existing brush category:

1. Create a new folder somewhere outside of the Painter X application/program folder.

2. Extract the Zip file into that new folder.

3. Open the folder named KYK Brushes. You'll see the brush category folder named KYK Textures and the associated brush category JPG icon image file named KYK Textures.jpg.

4. Open the brush category folder named KYK Textures. You'll see the brush variant files and accompanying files.

5. Highlight and copy all of the files in the KYK Textures brush category folder.

6. Navigate to the following folder:

Mac - Applications > Corel Painter X > Brushes > [Brush Library Name] > [Brush Category Name]

Windows - Program Files > Corel > Corel Painter X > Brushes > [Brush Library Name] > [Brush Category Name]

7. Paste the copied files into that brush category folder.

8. Launch Painter X, load the appropriate brush library, and in the Brush Selector, choose the appropriate brush category. In the brush variant list you should now see the two new custom brush variants, Perfect Brush Chalk and Perfect Brush Oil.

Thanks again for your generosity, Kamal. I'm sure a lot of people will enjoy using these brush variants.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:43 PM   #35
Hiun
Know-it-All

portfolio
Kamal Khalil
Jamaica

Send a message via MSN to Hiun
Jinny - Thank you so much Jinny for taking the time to break all that installation instructions down for everyone and for trying the brushes

Old 10-30-2007, 03:21 PM   #36
Jinbrown
A Corel Painter Lover

Jinny Brown
Painter Instructor, Tutorials, Demos, Painter Info, and Resources at PixelAlley. Support Painter users in Painter Community lists, boards, newsgroups and other Painter forums and graphics forums.
USA

You're welcome!

That's really a lovely Captured Dab image you created, one of the most complex and interesting ones I've seen.

I hope to find some time to play with the two brush variants more, since I only used them a little.. enough to know they have a lot of potential.

Thanks again!

Jin

Old 10-30-2008, 04:23 PM   #37
mossyoak
Frequenter
portfolio
Christine Garner
Illustrator/artist
Telford, United Kingdom

Smile Revised brush set

I posted some brushes not long ago, but then I saw this sticky thread I should have used. Anyway, I've revised and sorted the set I did and added some pencil brushes.

They are available for download here in my journal.

I've included a read me and a picture of the brushes there as well.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:51 AM   #38
workbench
Frequenter

Marco Costa
Portugal

Excellent brushes Christine, I specially liked the watercolor splatters.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:48 PM   #39
mossyoak
Frequenter
portfolio
Christine Garner
Illustrator/artist
Telford, United Kingdom

Thanks your welcome. The splatty watercolour brushes are fun

Old 03-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #40
architectus
Frequenter

portfolio
Neil Fontaine Neil Fontaine
Vallejo, USA

I have to say Rob's brushes are cool. I just downloaded and tried them out.

I can blend so much faster in Painter than I can in Photoshop. I might just make the transition and do most of the painting in Painter from now on. I like my custome pencil brush is photoshop much better though. It almost works as well as a real pencil.

There are certain things that I know I can only do in photoshop. Dang it, now I will have to switch between both programs. And nothing works better for inking than illustrator.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:43 AM   #41
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by architectus
I have to say Rob's brushes are cool. I just downloaded and tried them out.

I can blend so much faster in Painter than I can in Photoshop. I might just make the transition and do most of the painting in Painter from now on. I like my custome pencil brush is photoshop much better though. It almost works as well as a real pencil.

There are certain things that I know I can only do in photoshop. Dang it, now I will have to switch between both programs. And nothing works better for inking than illustrator.

Glad you like 'em.

Got a link to your custom Photoshop pencil brush?

When I ink, I choose Painter over Photoshop (no contest), but I've never use Illustrator so how does that compare to Painter for inking--especially clean and expressive line quality?

Old 03-04-2009, 10:45 AM   #42
architectus
Frequenter

portfolio
Vallejo, USA

IMO, Illustrator is awesome. I made a video showing my settings and did a few strokes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eji...re=channel_page

For some reason the brushes I save as a file named mybrushes.arb doesn't show up in my brushes folder, but that is where I saved it. When I open photoshop the file is there for me to load, but the file is not in my brushes folder when I check the folder so I could zip it and put it online.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:49 AM   #43
architectus
Frequenter

portfolio
Vallejo, USA

Until I figure out how to find the abr file so I can share it with others, I made a video showing how to create my real pencil brush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUn8...re=channel_page

Old 05-25-2009, 11:44 PM   #44
gavobe
gaston vonck
kansas city, USA

Thumbs up verry good workbrushes

I have worked with this brushes and I find she first class

all regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatique
I just realized we really should have a sticky thread where people posted links to various custom Painter brushes availble for download on the internet. So, if you have some, or know URL's for some, post them here. Try to only post brushes you have actually used and think are really good--not just any link you come across.

I'll kick off the thread with the latest version of my custom brushes (updated just today).

http://www.ethereality.info/etherea...ies/goodies.htm (this link includes install instructions, download for the brushes..etc)

I wasn't happy with any of the pencil brushes that came with Painter, so I tried to design a brush that could come as close to a real pencil as possible. Although this is pretty good, I'm still trying to get that "shade with flat side of pencil" feature into it, so that tilting the tablet pen will be like tilting a real pencil.

The Round Series of brushes (Painting Round and Blender Round series) are my workhorse brushes, as I do majority of my work with them. The Painting Round series gives me a lush bristled look, with great control in bleed and opacity, which allows very refined brushwork. The Blender Round series are basically the Painting Round series with the resaturation turned off, so I could have a set of various sized blending brushes easily accesible (I hate tweaking brushes on the fly, as I sometimes get distracted and end up playing with the brush controls instead of painting).

I wanted a basic set of brushes that handled to my liking for simple blocking in of early stages, so I designed these three.

Rob's Basic Flat - Just flat color with no bleed or opacity sensitivity. You can control the size with pressure, that's it. Great for laying down flat areas of color, and having size sensitivity means you don't have to change brush sizes as often.

Rob's Basic - No size and opacity sensitivity, but have bleed and control sensitivity. Great for laying down rough values and color variations with blending in your brushstrokes.

Rob's Basic (No Bleed) - bleed and resaturation turned off, but Pressure sensitivity turned on. This essentially gives you a brush that's similar to Photoshop's brushes. The lack of blending gives you very pure colors to work with.

This is a captured bristle brush, and it's like the Round Series, except that I've made it to be even more lush/creamy in feel. As you can see, at smaller sizes, the limitation of a captured bristle shows. This brush is at best when set to at least size 10 or more. I have it on 15 as the default.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #45
sand dragon
Veteran
Student of life

Inkspiration Brushes

I've just uploaded my latest custom library called Inkspiration. The idea behind them is to generate random shapes for fantasy and concept art inspiration.

Link to download page.

David

reply share thread