CGTalk > Software > Lightwave 3D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 10-25-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
Secure and Secret.
Not gonna tell ya.
Anaglyph 3D - Underwater

I've been noodling around with anaglyph stereoscopic rendering and I ran into a curious problem.

I set up a space scene in the afternoon with promising results, so I moved to a new scene to test further.

The second scene I'm using for testing has stand-in models of a submarine, underwater in a canyon, etc... I added fog and radiosity to help with the underwater atmospherics. There is a single dome light just to give some top down lighting, though ultimately, I want this to be dark due to the depth that the sub is supposed to be operating at.

SO, I set everything up and hit render, put on my glasses... and I don't see any 3D effect.

After a long while, I figure out that the color of the fog looks to be the source of my problem, because it is competing with the green-ish anaglyph offset.

Currently, I'm doing all of this in-camera in Lightwave 10 (though, I don't think the app matters in this case).

My questions are:
- Has anyone run into this before? Did you find a solution?
- Would I have to do this type of shot by breaking things out and compositing elsewhere, rather than doing it all in-camera? Should I be using a Z-depth render for the fog/atmospherics or will that even make a difference, since the colors will ultimately be competing with each other anyway?

Ultimately, for the purposes of my scene, I've tried a ton of different settings/adjustments and it is beginning to feel like the 'art' is going to have to be compromised for the technology in that the sub will need to be in shallower water (lighter scene) while pushing the color of the 'fog' further from the deep blue-ish/green that I wanted.

I'm open to ideas.

Mods feel free to move this if it's in the wrong spot. I wasn't really sure where to post it.

Last edited by Pixanaut : 10-25-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:01 AM   #2
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread