December 2015 - Derek Jackson

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

12 December 2015
December 2015 - Derek Jackson

This brief looks awesome, and just the right amount of technical challenge as I'm new to working with video. Nice to have a slightly more architectural brief too

Simple concept - a shack on the left built from used sheet metal and a few wooden panels, with an outdoor 'terrace' area on the right. I've added some stairs going up to it on the left too.

Time allowing, I'll get a few extra animated elements on the building itself - flickering neon sign, maybe a rotating fan or something. Not sure how easy these will be to achieve yet.

Not sure on grading yet, but something along the blue / yellow look (just been watching the stunning French series 'The Returned' - lots of desaturated blues, greens and yellows - looks beautiful!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dec15-WIP-051215.jpg (93.2 KB, 62 views)

12 December 2015
Hi all, latest update attached. About halfway there with the main shack. I've also experimented with grading a little.

Time allowing, I'll tweak the rest of the plate a bit more, but given usual December busyness, I'll be pleased just to get this bit done!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dec15-WIP-071215.jpg (90.2 KB, 47 views)

12 December 2015
And another update. Almost done on the main shack now, other than the neon signage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dec15-WIP-101215.jpg (93.1 KB, 46 views)

12 December 2015
Scale and perspective

Watch your scale and perspective up there.

Originally Posted by derekjackson: And another update. Almost done on the main shack now, other than the neon signage.

12 December 2015
Thanks Milan, good spot.

I've kept the shack much the same size but lowered the window for now.

Started adding in a bit of extra context - more of a mountainous feel, and with some more puddles to reflect the neon signage.

Hoping I get this done on time...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dec15-WIP-151215.jpg (92.1 KB, 38 views)

02 February 2016
Well the last few months kind of ran away, but I've finally found time to get this finished. It's not a patch on the amazing winning entries, but as a first attempt at working with video, I'm pretty happy with it.

Video here: https://vimeo.com/156165570

I certainly learnt a LOT about After Effects through doing it, so thanks Milan and David for a great brief (and video) to work from!

The few animated elements I've added in are the broken neon sign (and reflection), and some clouds passing in front of the mountains.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DMP-12-15-Flattened-160219.jpg (88.8 KB, 8 views)

reply share thread