Old 09-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
jlynson
portfolio
Jan Lynsøn
vfx artist
Australia

nParticle instance rotation after collision

Hi everyone,

I have a Maya scene where I am using a collision event one one set of particles to spawn a second set of particles with instanced geometry. Thats all working well and good, however I want to have the new particle instances randomly rotated and scaled at birth.

My plan was to create a pair of per particle attribute for the second set of particles (say randScale and randRot), assign them as creation expressions, and then link them to the particle shape via the scale and rotation options in the particle shapes instancer rollout. Basically the same as you would for any regular particle stuff.

The issue I am having is that this doesnt seem to work. As soon as I set the scale and rotation options to my custom attributes (randScale and RandRot) the instanced disappear from the viewport.

Any idea what I am doing wrong here? Can you not set creation expressions on particles that have been created from a collision event? It may be a simple question, but I have been away from Maya for a while and am quite rusty.

Cheers, Jan

Old 09-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
Duncan
Expert

Duncan Brinsmead
Principal Scientist
Autodesk
Canada

There are some problem when emitting from one nParticle system into a second that shares the same solver. You might try assigning a new solver to the second particle system.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread