Smoothing when bump painting...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Smoothing when bump painting...

I just realized this, but when painting in the bump channel, holding down the Shift key acts as a smoothing brush, which is cool.

The main problem though is I can't figure out a way to change its attributes. It's always at 100% strength, uses no stencil or stamp, and is always the same size.
I've tried all the usual ways to change strength, size, etc., but can't figure it out. It would be nice if it simply used the same attributes as whatever brush you're using at the time, but no.

Anyone? Oglu?

Mud 2014 SP 1 BTW

Old 06 June 2013   #2
i believe.... that if you select the smooth tool, decrease the strength, and then go back to using the paint tool it'll be whatever you set it at.

not the most intuitive approach but i think this is how it works.

Old 06 June 2013   #3
Originally Posted by bilbob: i believe.... that if you select the smooth tool, decrease the strength, and then go back to using the paint tool it'll be whatever you set it at.

not the most intuitive approach but i think this is how it works.

Thanks bilibob, but no, I tried that to no avail.

That's how you do it in ZBrush, but I can't find a way to do it in Mud at all, and I've tried everything I can think of.
I tried doing that with the blur brush too, just in case that's what it was using because it does almost look like blurring instead of smoothing.

One thing that does work though is adjusting my pen pressure in the wacom driver, and pressing very lightly when 'smoothing', but then that screws me all up with everything else I use my pen for.

Thanks anyway!

EDIT:
Did anyone really need retopology tools in Mudbox anyway? I personally would prefer if they improved the existing tools, since it's all starting to get kind of outdated now.

Last edited by twosheds : 06 June 2013 at 02:56 PM.

Old 06 June 2013   #4
your right...instead try adjusting the Strength of the Blur tool in Paint. it definitely works.

Old 06 June 2013   #5
Originally Posted by bilbob: your right...instead try adjusting the Strength of the Blur tool in Paint. it definitely works.

I wrote above that I already tried that and it wasn't working, but I don't doubt you - it was really late and I was getting aggravated, LOL.
Plus by that point I think I might have had my pen pressure settings too screwed up to notice.

I'll definitely try that out again as soon as I can though. Thanks again!

Old 06 June 2013   #6
Originally Posted by twosheds: EDIT:
Did anyone really need retopology tools in Mudbox anyway? I personally would prefer if they improved the existing tools, since it's all starting to get kind of outdated now.

Yes, they'll be useful for doing terrain and for concepting. And probably other things I can't think of off the top of my head. Remeshing scans probably.

Probably not as useful as dynamesh and the other remeshing tools in Zbrush but they are appreciated.

Although I agree that some work on the sculpting and painting tools wouldn't go amiss.

Old 06 June 2013   #7
Originally Posted by robinb: Yes, they'll be useful for doing terrain and for concepting. And probably other things I can't think of off the top of my head. Remeshing scans probably.

Probably not as useful as dynamesh and the other remeshing tools in Zbrush but they are appreciated.

Although I agree that some work on the sculpting and painting tools wouldn't go amiss.

Right. Well I didn't mean to imply it wasn't useful, it just seems kind of late in the game to be adding it, and from what I've seen most people are already using some other retopology solution such as ZBrush and/or Topogun. Plus now Maya has retopology tools as well.
I personally prefer Topogun, and have been using it for a couple years now, and I can't see having any use for Mud's retopology tools.

Old 06 June 2013   #8
the retopo tools in mud are different... cause its an auto retopo solution.. a new one...
you can retopo sutff in 1min... its not that usefull for animateable faces or hands... but there is a lot of other stuff you can do... in combination with ptex and vector displacemet its really powerful... or if you need quad based simulation meshes, cloth or collision objects... for the rigger to start with the rig but the creature isnt finally sculpted... background chars... objects for previs... there is a lot goin on...

also for character its working if you do the last 10% in maya or topogun...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHRiDr7ZXxo

Last edited by oglu : 06 June 2013 at 10:11 AM.

Old 06 June 2013   #9
As always, Cristoph, I appreciate your input, and the video.
Maybe I'm being a little too quick to judge it, I was assuming it was more of the same basic retopo thing, and haven't even messed with it yet but after seeing your video I'll definitely check it out. Thanks again.

Old 06 June 2013   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread