300: Rise of an empire trailer (vfx houses ???)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #16
This doesn't excite me at all, looks to be bit all over the place and less polished than the original and frankly seems like a generic "wrath of the titans" type film.

Old 06 June 2013   #17
Original was... well... original. This one better bring something else to the table. A good plot would be a start.

Old 06 June 2013   #18
Originally Posted by pingking: according to imdb:

Rhythm and Hues (VFX)
Cinesite (visual effects)
Halon Entertainment (pre-visualization)
Third Floor, The

+ Scanline

Old 06 June 2013   #19
The plot around this one covers Artemision and Salamis, naval battles Athens (the empire mentioned in the title) fought. The film's timeline is not historical, since Artemision was fought the same day as Thermopylae, and Salamis a few weeks later, but the film looks cool.

Old 06 June 2013   #20
Originally Posted by BrainFreeze: Original was... well... original. This one better bring something else to the table. A good plot would be a start.

Well... its already historical.

Old 06 June 2013   #21
Yeah looks really good. Loved the first one and this looks like an even more extreme version.

Old 06 June 2013   #22
I saw the trailer yesterday in front of Man of Steel. Frankly, I'm not interested. After 4 seasons of Spartacus, which was awesome, 300 looks kinda tame. Not sure that 300, or any movie, really needs a prequel. Best to leave well enough alone and not taint the name of the original.

Old 06 June 2013   #23
Originally Posted by JanosHunyadi: he film's timeline is not historical, since Artemision was fought the same day as Thermopylae, and Salamis a few weeks later, but the film looks cool.

Miller & Snyder kinda threw out history for the first one too. Even the original comic embellished quite a bit. Seeing as how this is Hollywood, that's fine though.

Old 06 June 2013   #24
If you read/watch 300 with the intention of, or just the hope to, receive a history lesson in the process, then I have a great bridge in New York I'm willing to sell you for a very affordable price!
Whoever you are (hoping for historical lessons in 300), please do not have kids!

Old 06 June 2013   #25
eh.. I'm only watching it because its based on characters from the comic book.
That's about it.

Old 06 June 2013   #26
Originally Posted by cookepuss: Miller & Snyder kinda threw out history for the first one too. Even the original comic embellished quite a bit. Seeing as how this is Hollywood, that's fine though.

The comic, at least, was reasonably accurate to how the Greeks themselves depicted Thermopylae, if not the actual events.

Old 06 June 2013   #27
I must admit to 300 being something of a guilty pleasure of mine. It's all style and no substance, but it does it so unashamedly that I think it's actually awesome. Plus, a greased up, half naked Gerard Butler is reason enough to love it.

I'll definitely be seeing this new one, even though I'm sure it'll be just another visual spectacle again.

Old 06 June 2013   #28
The first one worked for me because it was such a simple, tight, entertaining story. So many action films these days try too hard to make a, complicated, oh look how clever we are plot, and fail. 300 just told a simple tale.

This one looks like it's trying to cover a lot more, with more characters, more turns in the plot, more locations, and more concepts.

Hoping it's good since I actually like 300 as well, but I could definitely see this going the Immortals/Wrath of the Titans route.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 06 June 2013   #29
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread