2014 Shft-clk loop select broken?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
2014 Shft-clk loop select broken?

Using Shift-Click to select edge loops doesn't seem to work in 2014. Has this shortcut been changed? I tried it on two workstations with no luck. Shift-Click works fine for ring select, but not loops. It also works fine in 2013.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!

Old 04 April 2013   #2
Oh Snap... yes I can confirm this here. Probably an unintended shortcut change.

Developer of:
Wall Worm Tools for the Source Game Engine
CorVex Level Design Plugin

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Instead of shift-click you can double-click an edge to select an edge loop.

I do think it's intentional because the 3ds Max Help clearly states it (= shift-clicking) works on vertices and polygons only (and it does). Just doesn't work on edges anymore. I'm not sure why that has changed but seeing how double-clicking is actually much easier anyway, it's a minor inconvenience, right?

Old 04 April 2013   #4
double click is something people requested for a longtime, nothing is broken

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Thanks everyone. I didn't know about double-clicking. I can adjust to that. It seems like an odd decision to take one simple hotkey and separate it into two. I can't fathom the reason for that, but I don't do a ton of modeling these days. I was under the impression that autodesk's goal was to simplify and unify the UI.

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Yes, indeed. It does seem strange but I can see a valid reason for that.

The single shift-click function for both loop and ring doesn't always work as you'd expect. As you can see in the example in the attached image. It seems shift-click prefers to select a ring and not a loop when there's a polygon/vertex to the left/right plus one on the top/bottom.

Now that you have a double-click function that always selects a loop and the shift-click that always selects a ring you always know what you're going to be selecting.

Then again, why didn't they also incorporate this new function & behavior in the vertex and polygon sub-object modes as well?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Select loop-ring.jpg (65.5 KB, 24 views)

Old 04 April 2013   #7
In 2013 you can double click, or shift-click. So if this is missing in 2014, is it a bug or on purpose? That's all we need to know. I personally use the shift-click method just out of habit because it works with other sub-objects as well.

Old 04 April 2013   #8
Originally Posted by JohnVK:

Then again, why didn't they also incorporate this new function & behavior in the vertex and polygon sub-object modes as well?

Because Max won't know which direction you want to select in as verts/polys are essentially a 'crossroad'.

Whilst shift-clicking clearly indicates your intention.

Old 04 April 2013   #9
Yes, but that's exactly my point

If they added the double-click AND shift-click method like they did in edge sub-object mode in verts/poly as well, then you'd have dbl-click to select a loop of verts/polys and shift-click to select a ring of verts/polys. The program would always know what you want.

While at this point the program indeed "doesn't know" what to do because you have only one selection function, shift-click. Actually the program does what it is programmed to do of course, as shown in my previous example, and prefers a ring select over loop select if there's conflicting information. This makes selecting in this fashion sometimes confusing if you have complex selections and geometry.

So, that would be my question, why not add the same functions and behaviour to the vert- and poly sub-object modes as well and eliminate the "confusing" part of selecting in this fashion?

Last edited by JohnVK : 04 April 2013 at 10:55 AM.

Old 04 April 2013   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread