transparent material that hides back faces.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
transparent material that hides back faces.

I need to show the interior of a human body, Lungs inside must be visible. I combine some falloff maps with transparency and get fantastic results on edges, however there are artifacts even if you turn off backface rendering, because there are faces at the back which are actually looking to the front. like on the arm in the picture.

Back faces behind the front faces which create the actual silhuette of the model- whether looking in or out- should be rendered as hidden. I could only blur the transparency after a distance and that removes such effects, but then the lungs are also blurred.

Any magical trick you know?

Old 02 February 2013   #2
Render in passes and put the lungs in a seperate pass.

I am not really sure what you are asking for, but you could also put a matte object inside of your falloff mesh. just make a duplicate and put a push modifier on it.

Old 02 February 2013   #3
Just trying to get rid of the armpits or fingers at the back to be visible giving an unpleasant look, like in the image. It makes the image unnecessarily crowded and confusing. I want something like the "Hidden line" display type on the viewport. Apart from the wireframe look ofcourse.
A non transparent look with some falloff to pronounce the edges, but the lungs inside must be visible. Only the front faces will be transparent.

Rendering with passes can be used for sure, giving even more blending options, but I'm trying to finish it entirely in a single max file. Due to some reasons I can't express, I don't know. I need to see the end result I guess. With seperate files, I feel like I can't keep control.

Old 02 February 2013   #4
Matte object idea definitely helps achieve the look; with a very small offset value it removes all the back faces, but unfortunately it occludes the lung also or any other objects but the background.

Still looking for a method.

Old 02 February 2013   #5
Instead of the falloff on the opacity, I'd leave the opacity alone and put that falloff in the diffuse. Then you render this as the skin layer and the lungs in a separate render layer. In comp you can set the opacity of the skin layer and put the lungs below it.

Old 02 February 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread