Parent Constraint Acting Up!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
Parent Constraint Acting Up!

Has anyone ever had this happen? I'm rigging my character and I was putting a parent constraint from my foot control to my foot group, which works fine on the Left side, but then when I do the same thing on the right side, the foot group flips 180 degrees in the Y axis. I checked around and there are no incoming connections and no negative or weird values, I've never had maintain offset behave this way, any ideas? (Maya 2013, by the way!)

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Hey,

not to good at rigging myself but, it sounds like you may have mirrored you foot control as well?

all I can suggest is freezing transforms on your control or duplicating it again, scaling in the x and freezing transforms? if that doesn't work just make a new control and parent that instead.

Old 01 January 2013   #3
Nah, it's not that, it seems like the simple application of a parent constraint is messing it all up.
I just tried grabbing the control of the object he's going to hold and creating a constraint so when you move the object, the IK works together with that. His hand control has no incoming connections, only outgoing. When I create the constraint, the R_ hand flips 180 degrees, and neither me nor my supervisor can figure out why it's behaving this way. Has anyone else experienced something like this? Could it be a bug with Maya 2013?

Old 01 January 2013   #4
I've remembered I had a null group with a negative value so you could mirror poses, and that's causing the issues. However I still need to be able to mirror keys, so I switched the rotate order on the control from XYZ to XZY, which worked for the hand but not the foot? I tried all the other rotate order options and it made no difference on the foot either, any help??

EDIT: GOT IT Instead of inverting the scale, you should rotate it 180 degrees instead, avoids this flipping issue

Last edited by DeltaAddiction : 01 January 2013 at 09:11 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread