Movies that "made a differance"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #76
Originally Posted by Kanga: Or those films listed could be film we think have made a difference to people's perception of the world around us and how we interact with it.
Doesn't seem vague to me seems pretty straight forward.

I see, so you understand the vague and trendy "made a difference" phrase to denote movies that have influenced the attitude of an individual or community toward some cause or position.

So basically which movies were successful in manipulating you with their message.

Old 11 November 2012   #77
You can qualify all things non mechanical as vague and trendy. If you want an art discussion we have a forum for that. A discussion on semantics dilutes this thread. We seldom think about what we produce and this thread is one of those interesting and useful ones. I have stated elsewhere here what films made an impression on me. I have enjoyed reading what others experienced and discovered many films listed here that I will want to watch in the future. Seems I missed many good ones.

Old 11 November 2012   #78
Bit of trivia,
in the summer of 1982 we got films like
ET
Conan the Barbarian (The production design of this films and the soundtrack are incredible)
The Thing (one of the BEST horror films ever made)
Tron
Poltergeist
Star Trek II: WOK
The Road Warrior
All highly influential films
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 11 November 2012   #79
How could I forget this one-- Bridge on the River Kwai

The 1940s German Baron Munchhausen film is an anti-war film in some ways even though Goebbels supervised it. The star and writer were anti-Hitler and there's a villainous character with a mustache who is obsessed with invading Poland and the star says to hm directly I dont like you and your policies. And they show some war prisoners in cages which I think are supposed to represent non Aryans. Its a remarkable film on many levels. May also have the first extraterrestrial creature depicted in a colour movie. Polar opposite of Triumph of the Will. If you watch it you wont forget it-especially the nudity in an Emerald City-type environment.

Old 11 November 2012   #80
Originally Posted by kelgy: How could I forget this one-- Bridge on the River Kwai

I would recommend to see the David Lean 3peat

Bridge on the River Kwai
Doctor Zhivago
Lawrence of Arabia

I also recommend the films by Peter Weir.
Gallipoli is a great anti war film.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 11 November 2012   #81
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: Lawrence of Arabia

A colleague of mine mentioned this when we were discussing influential movies at work (as a result of me mentioning this thread) as being a great example of the beginning of the spectacle film. Certainly I think it's been very influential on films makers ever since.
Critcal feedback example #62: "Well instead of the Stalinist purges and the divorce and the investigation ... it could be about losing a balloon."

Old 11 November 2012   #82
Avatar is the one for me. Cannot wait for second part to come out...

Last edited by njdeco : 06 June 2013 at 09:32 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #83
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread