Adding geometry to already skinned mesh

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Adding geometry to already skinned mesh

hey guys,
I'm using 3ds max and I have a character,already skinned, that i need to add armor too. Is there a way in 3ds max to attach the armor to the mesh without screwing up the skin weights so that i can paint weights to the new attached geometry?

Old 10 October 2012   #2
If you using Skin modifier it is possible.

- Save weights in Skin modifier
- Attach mesh
- Load saved weight (in "Load Envelopes Dialog" uncheck "Load Vertices By Index"

My 3dsmax scripts

Old 10 October 2012   #3
You could, without attaching the new geo to your character, simply put a "Skin Wrap" on the armor pieces, click "add" and select the character. After that, you can use the option "Convert to skin"

With that, you have the armor seperated from the character but skinned perfectly the same as the character.

Hope this helps!

Old 10 October 2012   #4
Thank yall both for the fast reply i tried the skin wrap method this time and it did do what i wanted it too.thanks!

Old 10 October 2012   #5
Another way to safely keep your weights and modify your geometry is to use the extract skin data to mesh tool. Then do whatever you needed to do and load the skin data again. The new modifier part might need repainting though.

Old 10 October 2012   #6
Thanks jeb this is all useful information!

Old 10 October 2012   #7
Of course you don't have to remove skin and save and load weights, just drop to the bottom of the stack and attach the mesh. Skin will try and weight them correctly, probably not correctly so all you need to do is update them.

Since you already have a solution that works but keeps the model as two pieces, and if you still wanted it to be one piece then there is also an easy solution. Snapshot all the pieces of the mesh in their default pose so that you have a copy of them not skinned. Attach them all together and skin wrap them to all the pieces that are skinned. Make sure that the fall off value is very low so that each vert in the driving mesh affects only one vert in the new mesh and convert to skin. Then you can delete the original meshes.

Old 10 October 2012   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread