Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 09-04-2012, 02:49 AM   #1
orion5175
portfolio
Adam Orion Okeefe
austin, US

frustrated...

I am trying to say this without coming across as errogant or angry.
I have been working my butt off for the past couple of months trying to finish this demo reel without any sort of feedback from any of the five forums they are posted on.I was hoping that with the work in progress: focoused critiques I could finally get some serious constructive critism with. The teachers and the students are of no help anymore and all of my nonartist friends say that it is simply "good"
There are only so many tutorials you can watch before you simply call it quits and give up.
I sketch them out over and over again and they look fine in 2D but when they are created in 3D they seem over all incomplete, I need another set of eyes to look at it maybe point out something that I am missing alltogether or something that I am just not seeing.
and I am not getting that at school, from the teachers, from my friends, from any of the forums. I have taken art classes in the past and I am use to critisim when and if it ever comes but how can I improve if nobody says anything?
again I am not trying to come across as angry, but it is very frustrating when I even post sample questions that I am trying to get answered.
right now I know that my work is not good enough to get me a job at some place like EA or Ubisoft, but I have given up nights and weekend with friends to work on this and I have continously been hitting dead ends and I don't know why.
I am asking one of the CGS members to please take a look and tell me what I am doing wrong?
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=39&t=1068376

Old 10-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
Moolah
Veteran
portfolio
Kirill _3d_
Moscow, RU

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion5175
I am trying to say this without coming across as errogant or angry.
I am asking one of the CGS members to please take a look and tell me what I am doing wrong?
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=39&t=1068376

First I ask you... Did you tried more specified forums? Like "for game developers"? I think you may found some "QA manager" guy that will tell you more.. Maybe here or maybe not.

Can't understand what do you need to critique? Is it supposed to be a picture (like cg paining) or it's a straight low-poly game design?
I didn't liked stretchiness (1st) and blurry textures. The composition is OK but trees are awful. I don't want to offend you but these points can throw me away as a potential player of this game.
Second picture is better than 1st. But it's boring. So here I can't tell really fair enough because it can be a level design.. Then it not obviously must be "though" like a Monet painting
3rd - design OK, lighting - very plain (or plane?) It must be more... "casual" even in such "unfriendly place". Add some point lights to point to some main places in this picture. Or it looks "over-depressed".
Pardon my French
4th: the domes on central buildings looks cool... but seems that textures on walls are "off". Other buildings looks not very interest. Or you may add some boats, people, cars.. I don't know...
No, this will not save it. Buildings looks stretched down. The most left looks "cut". You should learn something about architecture of this country (I'm not sure where is it). Because something is REALLY strange in details.. or it's structures.. I'm not an architect, sorry.
Oh, I've seen a boat just now You must make such things more noticeable. Add some fake caustics on boards... Something cool that will make people "oh, loook! There some great yacht there! It shines and pretty girls are there... probably... or.. some drug dealers..." Anyway, I think you must work to add more interest to your pictures. Props and architecture must be closer to reality. It's my impression. Sorry if I was harsh but who will tell you then?

Old 10-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
CalciumKid
portfolio
Audun Berg
Stavanger, Norway

Jeremy Birns book!!

Hi!

I agree with what LBcover wrote about the textures being to blurry and stretched, and that tiling is apparent sometimes too. Maybe you stretch your textures because they look weird and repetitive if you don't??? (I've been there myself

I am working on improving my own texturing skills too, so I am in no way an expert, but I think you should read Jeremy Birns book "Lighting and rendering". Especially chapter 10, Designing and assigning textures, page 302-310. (I've got the 2006 edition). Here he explains how you can make maps seamless (for example using filter-other-offset in Photoshop and work some magic with the healing patch and cloning tool), how you can correct luminance and color shifts (you could use filter-other-highpass), and he also explains how you can expand a tiling map and for instance use cloning tool to break up the repetition so the map can cover larger areas. In this way, you can tile a map without it being too apparent, and you don't have to stretch your maps over a large distance so they become blurry.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Yeah I have to agree with the 2 posters above me. Its kind of normal that you are annoyed with your situation it just takes loads of time and loads of work to get to a standard you are happy with. You might find taking a break and doing some social stuff will make long hours easier.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:22 AM   #5
Jerwilson
Veteran

portfolio
Jeremy Wilson
2D/3D Artist & Asset Designer
Cedar City, USA

I understand that it can be tough when you know that you need improvement, but when it's difficult to put your finger exactly on the specific things you need to change.

For me, the absolute best thing is to allow myself to lower my defenses enough to share my work (which you've done--good job, you!)

But the next best thing is to allow myself to take the criticisms as they come, and parsing through them to try and figure out how I can implement those suggestions. You've already got some really good suggestions: Pay attention to your textures and the quality of your models. The hard part will be to now allow yourself to step back from your work--give yourself some emotional distance and look at it objectively without letting your attachment to the project get in the way. Find some screenshots from some professionally produced or AAA games, and put those screenshots side by side next to your screenshots. Now try and be as specific as possible as you compare the two. What are the professionals doing differently than you? What are they doing similarly?

Finally, I know you're feeling like you've already read tons of information, but the weird thing about improvement is that the more we learn, the greater capacity we have for improvement. That is to say, even though a lot of information might pass right over our heads when we're first starting out, as we improve, we're able to understand more and more. So reading the same tutorial multiple times will allow you to grab different nuggets of knowledge, according to your improved skill level.

One resource is the Game Design in 11 Days guy. They have some great resources if you're patient enough to look through them:
http://worldofleveldesign.com/getti...l-design-basics

Above all, don't get discouraged! Good luck.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
EdtheHobbit
File read in 0 seconds
portfolio
Ed Whetstone
Lighting Artist
Richardson, USA

Send a message via AIM to EdtheHobbit
I don't want to sound callous, but as an educator I'm always on the lookout for a student's ability to do self-appraisal. It's the biggest thing that separates potential from failure. To put it bluntly, if you can't tell that your work isn't very good, then there isn't a whole lot anyone can do for you. There is a lot of room to figure out *how* to improve your work, but a personal understanding of quality has to come first.

To critique this work in a serious manner would be an overwhelming task, because it is lacking in the absolute fundamentals. The architecture is bland and boxy, the geometry is extremely low-res, the textures, the foliage, the lighting, the skyboxes, the water... You see what I mean. You need to work on everything, to be perfectly honest. The best thing I can offer is this:

keep working and learning, always compare your work against other artists in your field, and if you really don't know what needs improvement, then it may be time to change career goals.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread