Arnold GPU in private beta

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

04 April 2018
Arnold GPU in private beta

Some intriguing info from this talk:

http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/gtc/2018/video/S8841/

Releae date: when it’s ready. 

Last edited by NWoolridge : 04 April 2018 at 12:39 AM.

04 April 2018
Cycles (Blender) creator Brecht Van Lommel was hired away from Blender to work on Arnold for SolidAngle in around 2014.

If he wrote the Cycles GPU code, he may be the one porting Arnold to GPU, along with some other programmers probably.

If done well, Arnold GPU should probably be 5 to 10 times faster on a high-end GPU than on a CPU.

GPUs have up to 5,000 compute cores a piece these days. A lot depends on how Arnold works internally, however.

The better Arnold parallelizes on thousands of mini-cores, the faster it will run on GPU.

If SolidAngle didn't pay any attention to GPU at all initially - because they were after selling as many CPU licenses as possible for example - then you are looking at a possible re-design of the code, along with porting to GPU.

04 April 2018
Sadly, owned by Autodesk – so holds no interest for me. 

04 April 2018
Originally Posted by Darth Mole: Sadly, owned by Autodesk – so holds no interest for me. 
I understand your skepticism, and I was worried after the acquisition myself, but the continued excellent work on C4D integration, and the frequency of updates, has been fantastic.

I personally love working in Arnold, and I'm excited to see that they are making very good progress on the GPU port. The goals they have outlined (broad API and pixel compatibility between CPU and GPU versions) is encouraging....

04 April 2018
Originally Posted by NWoolridge: I understand your skepticism, and I was worried after the acquisition myself, but the continued excellent work on C4D integration, and the frequency of updates, has been fantastic.

I personally love working in Arnold, and I'm excited to see that they are making very good progress on the GPU port. The goals they have outlined (broad API and pixel compatibility between CPU and GPU versions) is encouraging....

My thoughts exactly. I was skeptic as well, but they are actually doing a great job, with regular updates, fixes and improvement. I'm actually surprised how well Arnold is moving forward after AD acquisition. I abandoned 3ds Max because of AD, but Arnold looks alive and well.
Can't wait for the GPU version.

04 April 2018
It's more the expense and subscription model that doesn't work for me. I'm sure the tech is phenomenal. Was sad to see it fall into AD's hands. 

04 April 2018
And... the video is gone.

04 April 2018
Originally Posted by dsp_418: And... the video is gone.
That’s too bad... I wonder why?

04 April 2018
Did anyone have the chance to watch it?
I'm curious to hear if there was some good news revealed.

04 April 2018
Originally Posted by dsp_418: Did anyone have the chance to watch it?
I'm curious to hear if there was some good news revealed.
Yes, there were extended demonstrations of the current beta, and discussion of their goals for the GPU version. It was from an Nvidia developer conference, so they revealed that they re using a lot of Nvidia tech (so presumably no support for AMD). 

They essentially want want there to be a single checkbox to switch from CPU to GPU, and for the output to match. They indicted that this would be a solution for small to medium sized jobs, but for massive memory intensive jobs, CPU may still be the best option.

04 April 2018
Originally Posted by NWoolridge: Yes, there were extended demonstrations of the current beta, and discussion of their goals for the GPU version. It was from an Nvidia developer conference, so they revealed that they re using a lot of Nvidia tech (so presumably no support for AMD). 

They essentially want want there to be a single checkbox to switch from CPU to GPU, and for the output to match. They indicted that this would be a solution for small to medium sized jobs, but for massive memory intensive jobs, CPU may still be the best option.

Thank you, NWoolridge.

That sounds interesting indeed. Too bad I missed the demonstrations, but I'm not losing hope, maybe it will be out sooner than expected

04 April 2018
Originally Posted by Darth Mole: Sadly, owned by Autodesk – so holds no interest for me. 

Have to agree. The whole "We care about our customers, we'll never ever ever go to a subscription model" followed just one year later by "We're switching to a subscription model!" said everything.

The samples they showed in the video were interesting, but at least one of them was on 2 GP100s - and it's always comical when they say "It's so much faster on $14,000 worth of GPUs when compared to this $1,000 CPU!" 

04 April 2018
Originally Posted by Darth Mole: It's more the expense and subscription model that doesn't work for me. I'm sure the tech is phenomenal. Was sad to see it fall into AD's hands. 
Same deal. I will never buy a product from Autodesk because their licensing policies are a total rip-off. There's standard subscription models (which are annoying but at least workable in some situations as with Adobe), then there's what Autodesk has done with that model.

Pass. Those dirtbags will not get a penny from me.

Last edited by Blinny : 04 April 2018 at 02:40 PM.

04 April 2018
If realtime raytracing doesn't take 5 years to arrive in usable form, you probably won't be needing Arnold GPU at all anyways.

Here's the pathtracing part of Nvidia's RTX demo (an alpha demo obviously):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjf...=youtu.be&t=345

This will probably get much faster as actual hardware acceleration for realtime raytracing and pathtracing makes it into GPUs.

reply share thread