Washed out render, how to match render image with viewport colors/textures

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

4 Weeks Ago
Washed out render, how to match render image with viewport colors/textures

Hi !

I am trying to print my character but the rendered image is too washed out. I tried the gamma settings 1.8 and 2.2 but its still too light. Is there any way to get the exact image in render as viewport? Please help!

Image here.

4 Weeks Ago
What is your lighting setup and render settings?

4 Weeks Ago
Why are you using gamma 1.8??

Your render seems over exposed.

4 Weeks Ago
The clothing is almost a perfect match. So I figure it's something in the material. I'll guess specular.

4 Weeks Ago
The viewport is "Default shaded" instead of "Realistic". I use Vray and for me, "Realistic" is never even close, but it must work for the native render-ers, right?

4 Weeks Ago
Should never base lighting on what the viewport looks like in my opinion. Only thing you can gather from looking at the viewport, is the general direction of single lights.

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by gruhn: The clothing is almost a perfect match. So I figure it's something in the material. I'll guess specular.

What about specular? Specular level or color in material properties?

Originally Posted by ACiD80: Why are you using gamma 1.8??

Your render seems over exposed.

My teacher suggested it might be the problem and that I should check the gamma setting but its either too dark or to light. I think clothes are ok but for some reason face and skin is too over exposed.

Originally Posted by catche: What is your lighting setup and render settings?

Should never base lighting on what the viewport looks like in my opinion. Only thing you can gather from looking at the viewport, is the general direction of single lights.

Sorry i am a newbie and I really have no idea what you mean can you kindly explain a bit? I just want a general full character look so I dont know much about lighting setup :( These are the setting:

4 Weeks Ago
You should ALWAYS leave gamma at 2.2 unless you understand what it's for and the production requires it (really bad advice from your teacher to adjust that instead of showing you how to fix it correctly)... if contrast is too high or too low there are several ways you could fix it of which the easiest one is to just adjust it in post (photoshop/after effects/etc.).
It is normal to have a bit of a washed out render if you use correct/realistic values.

It's probably one of the most common mistakes people make to use photo's as reference for renders. Photo's from camera's aren't linear.

As I said, your render look over exposed. Lowering the light's intensity should fix it.
And, as mentioned before, don't expect your viewport to be a reliable reference to how your render is going to look.

Last edited by ACiD80 : 4 Weeks Ago at 09:11 PM.

4 Weeks Ago
Is there a reason why you are using quicksilver? I would change to mental ray or arnold (if you have max 2018) for a start, and then look up lighting and rendering tutorials on youtube for that specific renderer.

1 Week Ago
Update: Well I tried everything mentioned up and when nothing worked I just imported it in Cinema 4D, set the render setting and viola! I got beautiful clean large renders in less time too! Thanks folks for your time

1 Week Ago
Did you try using anything but quicksilver? Can't help but think that you didn't try hard enough!

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by catche: Did you try using anything but quicksilver? Can't help but think that you didn't try hard enough!

Well I am a graphic design student, the end result only mattered. I tried all output render setting but all comes down to one word: Deadline

reply share thread