What does it takes to create a 3D character for a fighting game?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

05 May 2015
What does it takes to create a 3D character for a fighting game?

Hi there,

First of all, I'm the type of guy that comes up with ideas and hire people to make my ideas come alive.. I don't know anything about creating.

With that being said, I have an idea for a game (iOS and Android) and I posted a job offer online looking for people who could create characters and levels for this game.. but the more conversations I had with designers it became more obvious that I should "study" more about this subject before bothering these designers with my questions and requests.

Therefore I started this thread, I hope you people here are willing to school me a little bit about this subject as I have the following questions..

But before that, I want you to take a look at this fighting scene:

My game isn't a fighting game per say, my game is more like Puzzle & Dragons. (Google it if you're not aware with this game)

In my game the player should form words with the letters displayed on the lower part of the screen, the player will be rewarded with an attack per word formed.

I want the characters and the look of my game to look like the Naruto game you've just seen, so I was looking for designers who could create what you've just seen in the video.. but now I'm left with the next questions:

1. How much time would it take you if you had to create a new character for this game?

1.a If I'm not wrong, you should start with drawing a character on paper. How much time goes into that?

1.b Then you should bring the sketch alive on your computer? How much time goes into that?

1.c If I'm not wrong, by now you have a design of your character.. does your program has actions like walking, running and jumping included or do you need to do something manually that enables your character to make these actions?
-> If you need to do this manually, how much time goes into that? (walking, running and jumping)

1.d Now when it comes to throwing punches and kicking, does your program has that also or included or do you need to do something manually that enables your character to make these actions?
-> I don't know how advanced these programs are but I guess you should do this manually.. at least some of the combos I had in mind. What is the process of adding actions to your character?

I think that these are the steps one should take to create a character, the way I see it.. 1.d is connected to the words formed in the game.

For example, if the player forms a word of 5 letters the player will be rewarded with a 3 hit combo.. this 3 hit combo you (the designer) should add to the action list of the character.

Or is the enabling part not the job of you (the designer) but of the programmer?

I thank you in advance for reading all of this, please school me a little bit..

05 May 2015
Firstly probably a thread that doesn't belong in the 2D *Art Foundational Knowledge* forum, IMO the gist which covers 3D game asset creation from concept drawing > modelling through too animation, then export into the game engine, is in general skewed towards a multi-disciplinary CGI enquiry, so perhaps suited I think on the GD board, also its not clear whether this is a commercial project or not?

05 May 2015
...and if this:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/ho...unity3d.204911/

...is you? - then if so did you chase down the links offered and/or further explored the genre? - if not all good, starting here will provide an overview what is involved making a game within the restrictive confines of the mobile framework in general.

05 May 2015
Originally Posted by sacboi: Firstly probably a thread that doesn't belong in the 2D *Art Foundational Knowledge* forum, IMO the gist which covers 3D game asset creation from concept drawing > modelling through too animation, then export into the game engine, is in general skewed towards a multi-disciplinary CGI enquiry, so perhaps suited I think on the GD board, also its not clear whether this is a commercial project or not?

Yes, it will be a commercial project..

05 May 2015
Originally Posted by sacboi: ...and if this:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/ho...unity3d.204911/

...is you? - then if so did you chase down the links offered and/or further explored the genre? - if not all good, starting here will provide an overview what is involved making a game within the restrictive confines of the mobile framework in general.

That is not me, I will take a look at the thread how ever..

reply share thread