Battle Mountain

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

09 September 2014
Battle Mountain

This came from the challenges, I unfortunately did not have enough time to finish it so I'm taking it to a different direction.

The goal is to make a full CG environment based on a plate.

I may or may not keep part of the plate but I will certainly keep the lighting direction.

My approach will be based on a production based workflow working on digital environments.

I will try to make it as clear as possible so that this can be sort of a mini tutorial for everyone.

As always any criticism is welcome.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As this is a castle, I knew I will be needing repeated elements. All I need is enough variation so as not to be quite monotonous.
I sticked to 3-4 variations of the one model

I started working on one form and built upon that. Its just copy paste.... Yep...

At this part, I already have a good idea of the direction I am taking. Since I'm quite a fan of contradicting ideas, I wanted to push the artistic direction from medieval Fantasy to Fantasy Sci Fi.

- I will post more pictures soon
www.ericdmatte.com

Last edited by eyecon : 09 September 2014 at 05:22 PM.

09 September 2014
looking forward for the next progress

09 September 2014
I'm another one looking forward to see your progress Eric.

I would like to see what passes you will bring out from 3d, your texture work on this one, etc.
What do you mean exactly with full CG environment ??

thank you. keep posting.

Norberto

09 September 2014
TEXTURING AND SHADING

I have begun testing the shaders and textures.

Since most of the models will be from a distance, I have decided not to focus too much on UV mapping and have the textures be driven by procedural textures that are native in Maya.

The maps will still be images but they will be mixed and matched with different 3D textures to have that organic look to and unique look to each piece. Since its procedural I can minimize any repeated textures and maximize on getting some random mix between each image.

The dirt below the walls is projected on the model so I can control it from model to model.

The other challenge is getting the Bump, Specular and other maps will be mapped procedurally based on the color map.

The initial shading network can be seen below.

I also separated the dirt using an occlusion shader with a mapped dirt. This will be a separate pass that will go on top of the entire scene / texture as an alpha map and/or dirt map.

Everything is still work on progress and individual texture scale is not yet final.

I have also incorporated a build up of dirt on the top of the models. This is driven using the Snow Texture in Maya. In this image you can see that the color of the bricks is darker that the vertical walls. As I test the textures, I will soon build up the Shading network that will eventually be more realistic.

The shading network for the wall texture, still work in Progress

The Dirt maps and close ups

The Network for the Dirt Map

- I will post more pictures and progress soon
www.ericdmatte.com

09 September 2014
I am planning to create the whole environment as a full 3D environment and less to minimal paint work.

The purpose of which is to show my personal workflow on how I create my shots.

I wanted it this way since at the moment, we have a lot of painted tutorials our there but not a lot of 3D tutorial. This would be a great venue for me to practice more and at the same time share my progress to the community.

Originally Posted by norbertoidiart: I'm another one looking forward to see your progress Eric.

I would like to see what passes you will bring out from 3d, your texture work on this one, etc.
What do you mean exactly with full CG environment ??

thank you. keep posting.

Norberto
www.ericdmatte.com

09 September 2014
Thumbs up

superb Eric. I though you were talking about a full 3d environment.

I'm absolutely tuned on this thread.
thanks for sharing knowledge.

10 October 2014
Walk through - As it happens

Good stuff. Keep it up. Thank you for sharing.

Originally Posted by eyecon: TEXTURING AND SHADING

I have begun testing the shaders and textures.

Since most of the models will be from a distance, I have decided not to focus too much on UV mapping and have the textures be driven by procedural textures that are native in Maya.

The maps will still be images but they will be mixed and matched with different 3D textures to have that organic look to and unique look to each piece. Since its procedural I can minimize any repeated textures and maximize on getting some random mix between each image.

The dirt below the walls is projected on the model so I can control it from model to model.

The other challenge is getting the Bump, Specular and other maps will be mapped procedurally based on the color map.

The initial shading network can be seen below.

I also separated the dirt using an occlusion shader with a mapped dirt. This will be a separate pass that will go on top of the entire scene / texture as an alpha map and/or dirt map.

Everything is still work on progress and individual texture scale is not yet final.

I have also incorporated a build up of dirt on the top of the models. This is driven using the Snow Texture in Maya. In this image you can see that the color of the bricks is darker that the vertical walls. As I test the textures, I will soon build up the Shading network that will eventually be more realistic.

The shading network for the wall texture, still work in Progress

The Dirt maps and close ups

The Network for the Dirt Map

- I will post more pictures and progress soon

10 October 2014
So awesome to see your process here Eric, thanks! Love to see this and more!

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

10 October 2014
Thank you!!

Eyecon:

It's a generous sharing, really. Can't wait to see more!!

02 February 2015
updates?

I think this thread has slowed down a bit

reply share thread