Looking at 3DCoat: would anyone who's used it recommend it?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Looking at 3DCoat: would anyone who's used it recommend it?

I'm seriously looking at a program called 3DCoat. I have not yet downloaded the demo, though I intend to when my work load gets a little lighter. Has anyone used it and, if you have, would you recommend it and how well did it fit into your pipeline right off the bat?

03 March 2013
I absolutely love it. I never really could get along with zBrush, and 3DCoat is easy to learn and use. The painting tools are very good, retopology based on a sculpt easy.

I talked to this guy (http://www.izmeth.com) - he teaches at VanArts now, and he prefers 3DCoat over any of the other solutions.

03 March 2013
I'm really leaning toward getting it... I'm working in Hexagon now, and it's a little... buggy... but I'm used to it. Does it have decent traditional polygon modelling tools?

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by wancow: I'm really leaning toward getting it... I'm working in Hexagon now, and it's a little... buggy... but I'm used to it. Does it have decent traditional polygon modelling tools?

Its pretty much just for sculpting, but if you want polygons it's also good at retopolization. Look for some videos of that on Youtube.

03 March 2013
Okay, so basically, I'd keep using whatever I'm using for traditional work and 3DCoat for sculpting? That sounds interesting. Thank you very much, guys! You helped a lot!

03 March 2013
I am thinking about getting it myself for retopo and painting. It seems like it has come quite a ways since it first came out.

03 March 2013
Just looking at this video makes it exciting to even think about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw2qQFh64UI

It's almost reminding me of Rhino, but with more mesh control (Rhino's ability to produce nice meshes is... difficult)

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: I am thinking about getting it myself for retopo and painting. It seems like it has come quite a ways since it first came out.

The sculpting side of it is something personal I gather (never used it for that), some like it, some hate it. Never touched it so I can't comment.

The availability for Linux and the retopology tools though have turned a lot of heads. We've picked it up here for a production that required an inane amount of retopo work for some fairly complex stuff, and quite a few people think it the second coming when it comes to that (or at least not as painful as some other tools).

It's at least worth trying in those regards.
You might like it, or you might not, but objectively speaking it's functional. Fairly cheap too, just don't post heathen work done with it anywhere if you ever want to update it

03 March 2013
We are heading into massively OT territory now but I just wanted to address a few of your apparent misconceptions:

Originally Posted by cookepuss: The thing is, if I based all of my purchases on the ethical behavior of companies, I'm not sure I'd be able to buy anything. No company is 100% ethically clean. Dig deeply enough and you'll find something to challenge, something that offends you morally. Companies are made up of people and people are fallible.

Suppose an Adobe exec made some off the cuff racist statement. Am I supposed to stop using Photoshop? Should I maybe not buy "x" Autodesk product because of something ethically stupid they did? That's not realistic.

That's not really how it works though. One person making stupid comments isn't the same thing as the entire company espousing a certain view or engaging in ethically dubious practices. If we were to judge entire entities by comments made from individuals within them, of course that wouldn't be realistic. But that's not really how people make their ethical consumer decisions. When I go to the supermarket, I'm not concerned with what any particular individual in a manufacturer has done, I'm concerned about how the manufacturer sources their ingredients or parts, and from where, because those are fundamental aspects of that manufacturer's business.

Quote: I cannot control others, what they think, or how they conduct their business. I'm only human. As a human, I've got to earn a living.

Of course you can't control them, but you can, as they say, "vote with your wallet". By choosing not to contribute to companies whose values don't match yours, you don't contribute to something you disagree with.

Quote: Think about this: How many of you would really opt for unemployment and starvation just to take a moral high ground? How many of you risk the financial stability of your children just to make a point? Much easier said than done.

I've turned down numerous jobs in my time because I didn't agree with some aspect of it, the most recent being a project advertising a clinic that engages in homeopathy and other practices that I consider quackery. I would have no problem working under someone in a VFX studio who happens to believe in homeopathy, but to do a job that actively promotes that type of business is something else entirely, and one that I choose to abstain from on ethical grounds. If I can't even stick to my personal principles, what do I have? That's how I see it. But it's a deeply personal choice and everyone is different.

03 March 2013
3d coat is the best retopo app on the market...diamant tools is the next best....however 3d coat is best autoretopo on the market by a long way...zbrush isnt close...and the previews of new mudbox tech look interesting. im a big mudbox fan...but it doesnt looks in same ballpark from a cursory view

its texturing is awesome too and it is starting to get good at straight ahead poly sculpting which has been weak for some time in my opinion. the voxel sculpting is amazing and it has saved my ass on numerous projects

also best uv mapping in the industry

cons would be memory problems...it gets slow when you want to smooth meshes for straight poly sculpting and it doesnt yet have multires poly sculpting...but it DOES have multires voxel sculpting

pros IMO are that the creator is equal to pixolator in innovation but more mainstream interface. plus the tools are emminently useable and not arcane with tiny non descript buttons. it has great text tools which saved my ass time and time again for texturing

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by blade33ru: 3d coat is the best retopo app on the market...diamant tools is the next best....however 3d coat is best autoretopo on the market by a long way...zbrush isnt close...and the previews of new mudbox tech look interesting. im a big mudbox fan...but it doesnt looks in same ballpark from a cursory view

its texturing is awesome too and it is starting to get good at straight ahead poly sculpting which has been weak for some time in my opinion. the voxel sculpting is amazing and it has saved my ass on numerous projects

also best uv mapping in the industry

cons would be memory problems...it gets slow when you want to smooth meshes for straight poly sculpting and it doesnt yet have multires poly sculpting...but it DOES have multires voxel sculpting

pros IMO are that the creator is equal to pixolator in innovation but more mainstream interface. plus the tools are emminently useable and not arcane with tiny non descript buttons. it has great text tools which saved my ass time and time again for texturing

I was considering topogun to go with zbrush, but you may have convinced me to go with 3db now. Upgrade is only $60 for me.

I think ppl are right to vote with their wallet. I'm off to go vote

Keep up the great work Andrew!

03 March 2013
Where's phil...?

03 March 2013
Wow. I was wondering what was happening in this thread...

Briefly: No one likes communist regimes, no one likes slave labor; but not many of us (myself included) care about purchasing a product made in China, nor think much about how the diamonds in their rings were attained, and even less about the conditions required to mine rare earth metals found in every single cell phone and handheld device.

Mainly, I think this is because it's far away from us. We don't see it with our eyes - it's intangible in a sense. But religious issues such as is being discussed with 3DCoat - it's more personal, because it's all around us. Limiting what people with beliefs we disagree with - whether those beliefs are strong or casual - is a terrifying path to travel down - one that's been travelled by Germany, Cuba, China, North Korea, and others.

Last edited by LukeLetellier : 03 March 2013 at 10:27 PM.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by adamdaly: Where's phil...?

Easy now, no need to poke the hornets nest.

Originally Posted by blade33ru: 3d coat is the best retopo app on the market...diamant tools is the next best....however 3d coat is best autoretopo on the market by a long way...zbrush isnt close...and the previews of new mudbox tech look interesting. im a big mudbox fan...but it doesnt looks in same ballpark from a cursory view

Just curious, have you (or anyone) compared 3DCoat to ZBrush lately since QRemesher and the other retopo tools became available. I agree, ZBrush was crap in this department in the past but how about now?
wyattharris.com Dig it!

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: Just curious, have you (or anyone) compared 3DCoat to ZBrush lately since QRemesher and the other retopo tools became available. I agree, ZBrush was crap in this department in the past but how about now?

I find them two different things. To be honest, if you already sculpt in ZB, and want a quick retopo to refine somewhere else, QRemesher at this point is so very smooth and solid it's not worth looking elsewhere and introduce fiddly backs and forths.

ZB does still miss UV editing and more point by point options though (or I should say they require jumping through a few hoops with the whole duplicate tool and flatten and lowest subdivision workflow), so if you want the fine control, and don't mind it being outside of Softimage/Maya/Max/Blender/C4D/whatever, and want to mix it with some UV editing in the process, 3DCoat has a stronger and more targeted toolset.

We discourage software comparisons, but in this case, due to feature set, it's a bit apples and oranges, so I think it's fine and not prone to argument to state the above.

Even with licenses of ZB, MudBox, Topogun and UVLayout around quite a few people who knew little of it before decided to do some models (retopo only, that is) with 3DCoat, so it can't be that bad
I would still suggest trying it before choosing, and giving topogun a go as well. Different strokes and all.

For retopo to ease the sculpting process though I have completely fallen in love with how QRemesher feels, and it's literally made me reconsider my position on ZBrush and made me use it at home as well, and I wouldn't give up the single document ease of it for something else.

Thread Closed share thread