portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Electronic Arts Hit Hard by Battlefield 4 Disaster

Quote:
"
But Battlefield 4 has had technical problems so severe that EA's studio DICE has suspended all other projects in order to fix them. Meanwhile, some shareholders have filed a lawsuit against the company, claiming that EA's management knew of the technical problems but released the game anyways, selling shares before the game's launch. A PR nightmare on multiple fronts, EA may have let a golden opportunity slip between its fingers.

Serious problems
For some, Battlefield 4 was essentially unplayable at launch. The game often crashed, wiping out progress in the single-player campaign, and online multi-player, the main feature of the game, was unstable at best. Patches have been released, fixing some of the problems, but the studio behind the game was forced to suspend all other development, including Battlefield 4 expansion packs and the upcoming Star Wars Battlefront, in order to deal with the game's problems."

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...4-disaster.aspx
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 12-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

This news is about two weeks old; DICE have actually fixed a lot of the problems already.

In fact, this past weekend I was able to play with absolutely no problems, unlike the week before, when the game was basically unplayable for me. I can only hope this will serve as a lesson about rushing games out for release, but somehow I doubt it.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

I suppose if anyone can keep a company from releasing buggy software with services that aren't ready for launch it would be the investors.

But like you said Leigh, somehow I doubt it.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 12-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
Venkman
Don't cross the streams

portfolio
Peter Venkman
Frederick, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
This news is about two weeks old; DICE have actually fixed a lot of the problems already.

In fact, this past weekend I was able to play with absolutely no problems, unlike the week before, when the game was basically unplayable for me. I can only hope this will serve as a lesson about rushing games out for release, but somehow I doubt it.

The game problems and the fixes are old news, the growing list of lawsuits is the new stuff.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
Apoclypse
Expert

Good! Maybe companies will learn to QA their stuff before they release it. I understand why EA was pushing for the release with a product they knew wasn't ready, they wanted to meet CoD head to head. The issue is that it actually took someone's stock portfolio getting hit before EA decided to take a step back and actually fix the issues. Otherwise they would have happily started releasing expansion packs with no fixes for the underlying issues in site (like BF3).

Old 12-24-2013, 05:25 AM   #6
Kabab
Lord of the posts

portfolio
babak sanayei
Director
Vizual Element
Australia

Typical EA title release its always really buggy Simcity was the same..

I've stopped buying EA games along time ago due to this...

Old 12-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
Sthu
Frequenter
portfolio
Inva L
Switzerland

If this was to happen with Luxology (now The Carlyle Group & The Foundry) and their latest MODO releases they would've been long gone by now. Luckily MODO users are more forgiving and loyal, and because of that the software is still around.

But selling before a again rushed release... sounds like jail time, if they aren't rich enough.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #8
richcz3
esc is key

portfolio
Richard Cabrera
Media Developer
Digital Works
Los Angeles, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to richcz3
I'm kind of expecting more issues with games going forward. ps3/360 Ps4/One and the PC are all viable platforms that split coding and testing. 2014 should be interesting.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:10 AM   #9
ShaunAnsari
Frequenter

portfolio
Shaun A
Creative Director
Second Sense
Karachi, Pakistan

Im interested to see the effect of the ban on BF4 in china on its sales. But i think EA doesn't sell the game there anyways. Chinese govt was not too happy about China Rising apparently.

http://www.associatednews.com/headl...ina-rising/6583

Old 12-31-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
Vozzz

i played the beta. was fun, no serious bugs back then... wierd that the final was so messed up..

Old 12-31-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
DuttyFoot
Expert

stephen curah
USA

i assume the issues are affecting online play only because i played the campaign and had no issues.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:49 AM   #12
CiF
Frequenter

portfolio
Cyril Fernandez
freelance
TOULOUSE, France

Hi there,

The game is still a joke, even now after a few updates. I've played this franchise for quite a while, even competitively, and I can assure you that anyone claiming that they can play the game without problem is just not knowing what they are talking about.
The net code is worst then the BF3 one, and that's saying a lot.
The net code is a very complex thing that handle the sync between all the players, that register the fires and hits... I won't go into details as it's really a deep networking topic, but this is why you get shot through walls etc.. like when you pass a corner to avoid someone shooting at you, and oh surprise! he got you anyway.
There's also many other issues, like map design that used to be well thought and game mode oriented, when now, just to copy other successful games, is just fancy and silly, with all sorts of mode that are not matching the map design.

They stopped listening to the community and simply ruin the game for money... Classic !

Anyway, I could go one and one about the BF decline, but the real problem is more simple: big company model --> (to sum up a lot and try not to reach a political debate ; )-

I felt it coming (as it was obvious) and never bought BF4, I tried it many times at friends, but my answer is : I'll never buy from EA again.

I would be sooo thrilled to learn that this behavior bites their ass back ! but then again, i doubt it.

TORTURE TesT

SillySonG

BadBoy

Old 01-04-2014, 12:39 AM   #13
HcyeKRa
Veteran
portfolio
Markus
Bern, Switzerland

You know everything it seems, really.

Me and my mates played and still BF since 1942...and we did indeed have taken a break with BF3, but not anymore with BF4!
We hadn't that much fun since BF2 (which had similar problems btw).
I played roughly 80* hours since release, and besides the usual non game breaking bugs(soundbug and draw kill bug were annoying) you encounter, i did have 3 crashes and 4-7 disconnects! But yes the world has gone under because of that!
*(yeah not more hours playtime sadly sorry. I have a life and wife and kid, work and so on...)
But yeah you are right, me and my mates have not a clue what we are talking about, and just claim some stupid shit because we love EA that MUCH! (quite the opposite is true.)

Btw this is on a 2 year old pc with a AMD Radeon Card...quite the irony. haha.
But i believe most problems occur on console anyway...usually it's the opposite.

Still funny that EA got voted for worst company of the year twice in a row.
But if a Bank makes money with food trading which results in higher prices, and people may starve because of that. That'ss fine sure...
But yes EA is the EVIL itself...anyone?
Where is the Reality Check here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiF
Hi there,

The game is still a joke, even now after a few updates. I've played this franchise for quite a while, even competitively, and I can assure you that anyone claiming that they can play the game without problem is just not knowing what they are talking about.
The net code is worst then the BF3 one, and that's saying a lot.
The net code is a very complex thing that handle the sync between all the players, that register the fires and hits... I won't go into details as it's really a deep networking topic, but this is why you get shot through walls etc.. like when you pass a corner to avoid someone shooting at you, and oh surprise! he got you anyway.
There's also many other issues, like map design that used to be well thought and game mode oriented, when now, just to copy other successful games, is just fancy and silly, with all sorts of mode that are not matching the map design.

They stopped listening to the community and simply ruin the game for money... Classic !

Anyway, I could go one and one about the BF decline, but the real problem is more simple: big company model --> (to sum up a lot and try not to reach a political debate ; )-

I felt it coming (as it was obvious) and never bought BF4, I tried it many times at friends, but my answer is : I'll never buy from EA again.

I would be sooo thrilled to learn that this behavior bites their ass back ! but then again, i doubt it.

Last edited by HcyeKRa : 01-04-2014 at 12:44 AM.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:46 AM   #14
CiF
Frequenter

portfolio
Cyril Fernandez
freelance
TOULOUSE, France

Of course I know everything !

ok, more seriously, I didn't mean to offend you HcyeKRa, but, clearly, you took it badly...

You're having fun with BF4 ?? Well perfect then !

oh and for your information, it's not because I blame EA and the likes, that I am pro banks and stuff !! come on !! a little sense, please !

but hey, as I said in my previous post, I don't wanna bring this thread into some sort of political discussion...

TORTURE TesT

SillySonG

BadBoy

Old 01-04-2014, 01:46 AM   #15
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread