reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 09-26-2014, 09:34 PM   #436
ParamountCell
.:laureato di arte:.

portfolio
Daniel S Amedoda
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to ParamountCell
Okay guys, this is it. The Final season.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #437
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Cool, this Awesome!
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 09-28-2014, 06:00 PM   #438
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Finished watching Book 3. I was expecting a certain reveal during that arc but I guess its going to wait for Book 4. The finale for Book 3 was fantastic but something about Korra series has always felt unfinished and too rushed. Now that there is a Book 4 I can't help but wonder why didn't they just continue Aang's story? It's pretty obvious they can concoct plenty of end-of-the-world scenarios so it would have worked with the cast that everyone likes. And again with the short seasons they bring back Zuko but barely utilize him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoclypse
Yeah same here. I don;t know it's like Nick wants it to fail or something.
I don't get it. It was Nick's most popular show in history and with the new series they do everything they can to tank it. Constantly changing the air times limiting it to Saturday morning instead of at night like it used to be. After that the ratings started going south and they really started chopping at it.

I don't mean to make it sound like its a bad job. Book 3 really was good and you should definitely check it out for free on Nick if you haven't. The action and animation is still top notch. I'm just pining for what could've been.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 09-29-2014, 09:36 PM   #439
Apoclypse
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattHarris
Finished watching Book 3. I was expecting a certain reveal during that arc but I guess its going to wait for Book 4. The finale for Book 3 was fantastic but something about Korra series has always felt unfinished and too rushed. Now that there is a Book 4 I can't help but wonder why didn't they just continue Aang's story? It's pretty obvious they can concoct plenty of end-of-the-world scenarios so it would have worked with the cast that everyone likes. And again with the short seasons they bring back Zuko but barely utilize him.

I don't get it. It was Nick's most popular show in history and with the new series they do everything they can to tank it. Constantly changing the air times limiting it to Saturday morning instead of at night like it used to be. After that the ratings started going south and they really started chopping at it.

I don't mean to make it sound like its a bad job. Book 3 really was good and you should definitely check it out for free on Nick if you haven't. The action and animation is still top notch. I'm just pining for what could've been.

I think the older more serious tone kind of took all the charm out of the series imo. It still has appeal, and it's well made but ATLA was just a better more focused story. This one feels rushed. It also overly focuses on action. I feel like Nick wanted to attract an older audience and didn't let the creators of the show tap into what made the first show great. I wasn't a fan of the second season at all, nor do I like the direction the story has taken. What could have been an interesting story about the firenation road to redemption is basically whitewashed as the show focuses on cool looking villains with no substance.

I still like the show, it still has that Avatar feel, but the charm is lost, the depth is gone and replaced by sugary fight scenes and love triangles. There is still something there though.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #440
Ballo
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Joe Tuscany
Character Development/Senior Character Modeler
United Kingdom

I like both series Avatar and Korra. Cool trailer!

Old 10-31-2014, 08:42 PM   #441
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

I must be on Nicks doodoo list. Season 4 Episode 5 is out and I'm just getting an email about it.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 11-03-2014, 02:55 PM   #442
ParamountCell

portfolio
Daniel S Amedoda
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
I must be on Nicks doodoo list. Season 4 Episode 5 is out and I'm just getting an email about it.

Lol I think the whole entire world is on Nicks Doodoo list due to the way they have treated Avatar fans!

Old 11-03-2014, 05:50 PM   #443
Michael5188
another mime

portfolio
Michael Sime
animator/rigger
NYC, USA

Quote:
I think the older more serious tone kind of took all the charm out of the series imo. It still has appeal, and it's well made but ATLA was just a better more focused story. This one feels rushed. It also overly focuses on action. I feel like Nick wanted to attract an older audience and didn't let the creators of the show tap into what made the first show great. I wasn't a fan of the second season at all, nor do I like the direction the story has taken. What could have been an interesting story about the firenation road to redemption is basically whitewashed as the show focuses on cool looking villains with no substance.

I still like the show, it still has that Avatar feel, but the charm is lost, the depth is gone and replaced by sugary fight scenes and love triangles. There is still something there though.

Agree so much with this.

They tried aging it up, and in the end made a show that was somehow more immature. They keep bringing up real tricky, complicated issues, and then simplifying them into black and white, good and evil. The 1st book really had so much potential, the villain had a really good point! Seriously, there a super powerful people roaming the streets, something isn't right here. It's like a certain, random section of a population being allowed to carry around automatic weapons, and others aren't, and it has nothing to do with training or position. Then they made him an evil crazy bad guy and it was simple. They had so much going for them and flushed it.

The 2nd book meandered all over, and basically made me dislike Korra. The end felt like it was trying too hard to be epic and have a lot of weight with not much build up. As if every book needs a big reveal/new trick like Aang being able to take away bending.

Haven't seen the 3rd yet, but really I didn't like the previous seasons.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 11-03-2014, 10:05 PM   #444
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael5188
As if every book needs a big reveal/new trick like Aang being able to take away bending.
Yes, there was such a huge buildup to that one thing that when it happened and the scope in which they carried it out made it the most awe inspiring event. A whole episode spent on Aang wondering what he was going to do about the Fire Lord. We get no time for introspection like that. Instead just reintroduce a character from the past and a new magic trick.

With modern tech being thrown into the mix, it really cheapens everything else. Watched the first episode of season 4 and there was an honest to goodness Jeep. The grill had an Asian design to it but the rest might as well have rolled off the Chrysler assembly line. Seems in Korra's lifetime they may end up with computers. Which I guess does follow our advancements to a certain degree.

I'm going to watch it, the animation is still fantastic although season 4 seems to have reduced the quality of the environments quite a bit. May just be my imagination.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 11-04-2014, 04:53 PM   #445
Apoclypse
Expert

Quote:
Yes, there was such a huge buildup to that one thing that when it happened and the scope in which they carried it out made it the most awe inspiring event. A whole episode spent on Aang wondering what he was going to do about the Fire Lord. We get no time for introspection like that. Instead just reintroduce a character from the past and a new magic trick.

With modern tech being thrown into the mix, it really cheapens everything else. Watched the first episode of season 4 and there was an honest to goodness Jeep. The grill had an Asian design to it but the rest might as well have rolled off the Chrysler assembly line. Seems in Korra's lifetime they may end up with computers. Which I guess does follow our advancements to a certain degree.

I'm going to watch it, the animation is still fantastic although season 4 seems to have reduced the quality of the environments quite a bit. May just be my imagination.

Well it makes sense if you follow the logic that technological advancement was held back by years of war. Once the war is over a lot of the technology used I war starts to make it to the masses. New things were discovered like metal bending. We can already see the engineers and science are being applied though in this world it's a bit odd since the avatar and the world is still surrounded bun mysticism.

The technological progress makes sense given our own history. Hell just think about industry alone and the advancement that has gone on there in such a short period of time.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:37 PM   #446
ParamountCell

portfolio
Daniel S Amedoda
London, United Kingdom

So

So, what were your thoughts on the finale?

Old 12-21-2014, 03:48 PM   #447
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

I think that when a magazine like vanity Fair calls you one of the best children's entertainment in recent memory , you must have done something right.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #448
Michael5188
another mime

portfolio
Michael Sime
animator/rigger
NYC, USA

Quote:
Well it makes sense if you follow the logic that technological advancement was held back by years of war. Once the war is over a lot of the technology used I war starts to make it to the masses. New things were discovered like metal bending. We can already see the engineers and science are being applied though in this world it's a bit odd since the avatar and the world is still surrounded bun mysticism.

The technological progress makes sense given our own history. Hell just think about industry alone and the advancement that has gone on there in such a short period of time.

I'm not really arguing with you here, but doesn't war normally spur great leaps in technological advancement?

Anyways the technology doesn't bother me in the least, I'm actually really glad they advanced things at all, worlds like this tend to stay in one place forever.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 12-22-2014, 11:29 PM   #449
Ballo
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Joe Tuscany
Character Development/Senior Character Modeler
United Kingdom

Quite surprising final love story. I would love to have kids to watch it with them. Good series.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:07 PM   #450
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

I wanted to give credit to the second half of the production team of Avatar.
Studio MIR the Korean animation house that did the animation.
These guys are REALLY good.
http://www.studiomir.co.kr/en/archives/6064
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeNa1U9I6ME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdCPpRpYUqw

reply share thread